Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to Access Internet through Remote Access Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

AGA

IS-IT--Management
May 10, 2001
AU
I have configured a Windows 2000 server SP 3 to use the Routing and Remote Access Service (RRAS) as a gateway to the Internet, both the client computer and server programs are unable to access the Internet. I am able to log in to the sever & to do everything accept Internet access.

Thanks

Hmm, alot of info required here. Before even attempting RAS, make sure the server can see the internet.

Disable RAS (right-click, disable on ras in rasman). You'll have to reconfigure but there's a good chance you would have to anyway.

Get your server to see the internet on it's own. Are you using dial-up? LAN?

Once the server is up you can take it from there.

A few points to remember (for dial-up which I found out the hard way anyway):
If your server is running DHCP and/or DNS you will have to set up Network Address Translation cos the RAS by default sets up it's own little dhcp and dns listener for clients and never the twin shall meet. (I think it tries to use internet connection sharing or something, I got too frustrated to bother)

Sorry but that's about all I can add with what we've got so far..lemme know if you get further..

Yes the Server Can Browse the Internet but do I have to set up the DHCP Relay Agent.

No relay agent, RAS will act as it's own if you specify address ranges.

Have you configured RAS for ICS or NAT?

No not configured RAS for ICS or NAT? Is there any documentation from microsoft fol the whole procedure.

Have a look on my site on the NAT article, and eventually the onewith DNS external and internal. You will understand better how a connection to the internet can be made.

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K
new: (just started)

Actually, with reference to documentation, the online help (F1) is pretty darn comprehensive...pretty pictures 'n all ;)

JS

NATs is a piece of cake. Network Address Translation. Basically it translates the clients IP's into the one that your ISP has assigned you. So any packet from client 192.168.0.5 goes to your RAS server, gets translated into 195.216.19.224 or some other ISP assigned IP and shoots off to the net. The RAS server basically adds a id to the header of the IP packet which lets it know whos packets comming in are whom's so when it comes back with a reply the server looks at the headers, see its from 192.168.0.5 and passes it on to that client.

All that by the by, its mainly setup automatically by RAS. The only other thing you may need to do is to add ports into the NAT's so that if you terminal service your network using the default port (3398 I think!) it will go to the RAS server (as its comming from the internet) and the RAS server will look at the port, and realise that its to be sent to your DC or something for easy admin. Its basically forwarding the IP packets comming into the server from the net by port number. If you only have the one server then it doesn't matter.

Good Luck

Steve Hewitt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back