Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to access HDD through an Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

riastrad76

Technical User
May 8, 2006
GB
Hi there,

I have an internal HDD(Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 120GB ATA/133 HDD) that I am trying to access through an enclosure.

The enclosure I purchased is:

Icy Box IB-351U-BL (
I followed the instructions on the leaflet for the enclosure, set the jumper to master and plugged it in via the USB port.

The OS (XP) was able to 'see' the drive but it would not assign a letter to the drive i.e. I was able to see the drive details in the Disk Management part of XP but I could not access its contents.

Can anyone suggest a reason why this is? Thanks.

What does disk management say about the status of the drive (unformatted? formatted etc).

Does this drive contain data? You've not made it clear. If its not been partitioned & formatted yet, it will need to be (you can do that through disk management). If it has, but is showing as unformatted, what did you use to format it - and was Norton Goback installed on system you formatted it on?

Yes, this drive contains data; it's the HDD from my old computer which I removed before I sold the computer.

I don't know what was used to format it but it was a Dell computer if that's of any help.

I've attached a picture of what appears under the disk management. In the list, my drive is the one which is 111.71GB. I hope that gives you the necessary information.

Thanks.

My attempted upload of the picture doesn't seemed to have worked. Can anyone tell me if I've entered the file path correctly? Thanks.

I should have also stated that when I plug in the drive to the computer's usb port, the computer recognises the attachment of a new device, and then I get the following Windows error message:

'Windows could not load the installer for volume.'

italicsI'm still working on the picture upload.

Picture upload must be located on an accessible site.

You might try jumpering to CS (cable select) as others have found joy with this setting. I have always used mstr but you are having trouble and this is an easy check.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

rvnguy

I tried your suggestion and I got exactly the same result, but thanks for trying.

Last ditch...can you attach this drive as a slave(assuming this is not a laptop) and get your data off...

Then using the mfg's utils MaxBlast...zero it out while still attached.

Move to enclosure, changing jumpers etc. and plug it up ...you will have to initialize & format it but whatever was on it that might have been causing a problem is now gone...

If it still exhibits the same behaviuor, look to the enclosure and/or cable...

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

When you get to the link, click on the picture a couple of times and it will enlarge.

In the list in the picture, my drive is the one which is 111.71GB.

Have you tried assigning a drive letter yourself (just right click on the partition in disk management) - I've often seen this where windows doesn't assign a letter - but usually a manual assign sorts it.

wolluf - I tried that - didn't work.

I'm going to take it to a computer maintenance guy, who'll just place the hdd into a motherboard and then transfer the data over to an external hdd.

I'm going to forget the enclosure altogether.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back