Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to Access First Record

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazza11

Technical User
Jan 12, 2003
AU
I am using VB6 with Crystal reports 8.5 to produce a couple of reports. Both reports use the VB Data Environment to access the Access 2000 database 'workcare.mdb' and until now I have not had any real problems.

If I run the application and select cmdInjClass_click (see code below), data is obtained via the Data Environment which simply uses a query within Access to provide the information. If I then select cmdManhours_click it runs a query within the routine OpenHoursReport - this also works fine. I can run all selections alternately and multiple times and all reports are fine.

However - if I first open the cmdManhours report - that works fine but when I select the cmdInjClass report I get the following error.

Crystal reports Database Error
Unable to Access first Record

I select OK and then get

Crystal Report Viewer
SQL Server Error.
I can still run the manhours report multiple times but cannot run InjClass.

So long as I run the InjClass report first everything is OK. Can someone please help me - what have I done wrong.

Complete code is below.

----------------
Option Explicit
Dim ClassReport As New crInjClass
Dim HoursReport As New crManhours
Dim ServiceConnection As ADODB.Connection
Dim rsADO As ADODB.Recordset

Private Sub cmdInjClass_Click()
ClassReport.DiscardSavedData
CRVReport.ReportSource = ClassReport
CRVReport.ViewReport

End Sub

Private Sub OpenHoursReport()
Dim SQL As String
Dim strConnect As String

HoursReport.Text4.SetText Format$(DTShowStartDate.Value, "dd/mm/yyyy")
HoursReport.Text5.SetText Format$(DTShowEndDate.Value, "dd/mm/yyyy")
' Create and bind the ADO Recordset object
Set ServiceConnection = New ADODB.Connection
Set rsADO = New ADODB.Recordset

' Open the connection
strConnect = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Persist Security Info=False;Data Source=" & App.Path & "\workcare.mdb;Mode=Read"
ServiceConnection.Open strConnect
SQL = "SELECT Sum(manhours.Manhours) AS SumYearHours, Vehicles.Vehicle" & _
" FROM manhours INNER JOIN Vehicles ON manhours.VehicleID =" & _
" Vehicles.VehicleID WHERE (((DatePart(" & Chr$(34) & "yyyy" & Chr$(34) & ",[rptdate]))=2002) AND" & _
" ((DatePart(" & Chr$(34) & "m" & Chr$(34) & ",[rptdate])) Between 7 And 12)) OR" & _
" (((DatePart(" & Chr$(34) & "yyyy" & Chr$(34) & ",[rptdate]))=2003) AND" & _
" ((DatePart(" & Chr$(34) & "m" & Chr$(34) & ",[rptdate])) Between 1 And 6)) GROUP BY Vehicles.Vehicle, manhours.VehicleID"

rsADO.Open SQL, ServiceConnection, adOpenDynamic, adLockBatchOptimistic
HoursReport.Database.SetDataSource rsADO
On Error Resume Next

CRVReport.ReportSource = HoursReport ' other code modules can enable and disable it
CRVReport.ViewReport
End Sub

Private Sub cmdManhours_Click()
Call OpenHoursReport
End Sub

u r saying i m using dataenvioument. where is that .
u havnt specify any such thing here.

parminder Singh

The data environment is a VB6 ActiveX designer (see under Project/More ActiveX Designers) that allows you to connect to the database specifically for reporting etc. In VB6 you can also add a Data Report that uses the data presented by the Data Environment to create reports.
Instead of using MS Data Report I use the Crystal Report.
This has always been reliable - but I have never mixed the ways I access the database.
This should work - and in a fashion it does but not reliably. Does my method of access in the code above appear OK?

Hi,

I know where does Dataenviorment exists. My question was
bit different. To solve ur problem u should try to
refresh the command object, connecting the report
and dataenviormnet. Just close and reopen that command
object. It may help u solving ur problem.

Parm Singh

Just try to change the line HoursReport.Database.SetDataSource rsADO
to HoursReport.Database.SetDataSource rsADO ,3,1

It may help u.

Thanks parm
Tried you suggestion but still no luck. I have been trying also to use the DataEnvironment connection before I go using the rsado connection.
What I mean is that the Dataenvironment has a connection to the access database via a query, however this query is never used. I seem to be having better luck with this method but would have liked to get my code above working.
If you have any other thoughts I would appreciate
Regards
gary

Ok if its still not working. send me the form, report and
database. I will fix it and will return u soon.

Parm
Send it at
virk0009@hotmail.com

Many thanks again Parm.
I have been trying different ways of obtaining the data and I ended up with the code being quite different from that above. Following your reply above - I returned all the code to original (ready to bundle for you) and ran.
You would not believe it - it worked OK.
All I can think of is that during my alterations I removed the database connection from the Crystal report and then reconnected. It appears that this may have fixed the problem.

Appreciate your assistance.
Regards
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back