Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to access DSL/ Router Config Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

kawaii123

Technical User
Nov 6, 2002
JP
I need to access the config page on my ADSL Modem/Router to set up port forwarding.

The modem is established and running fine except for the need to set up a private FTP.

I am unable to access the config page by entering http:// 192.168.1.1

The modem/router's an NTT MN7300 (with Japanese manual - bilingual ability) on XP with a Norton firewall.

I don't want to reset the modem physically if possible, but my patience is running out!

TIA

Kawaii

Are you completely positive the IP is 192.168.1.1 for the setup page?
I have seen them as 192.168.168.1, 192.168.100.1, 192.168.100.100 etc...
Why is a hardware reset not an option? Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Jim,

Thanks for replying - The original default IP was 192.168.1.1, that's all. In IPCONFIG, I see this:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.82.211
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

PPP adapter Broadband Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 203.216.50.203
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 203.216.50.203

I guess the Gateway would be the router IP, but, honestly I've gone through the IPs and they just don't get through.

I've never restset it before, so just lacking confidence in going for the brutal option, since my Japanese is so poor!

Still, no problems doing the initial install...I only changed the password at that time I guess - is this all that would therefore be reset?

Depends on the reset. Some routers will reset to original factory specs, meaning any info on ports you've opened/forwarded will be lost. Other resets only change the basic config. Either way, you'll be able to get into the setup page. Have you tried getting in without putting in ANY IP? Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

I'm a little confused as to the Modem/Router's IP. How can I be sure I've found it if it doesn't work to access the config page?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back