Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to Access Backup Manager Open Server 5.0.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdsmith

IS-IT--Management
Mar 16, 2000
US
Visit site
System AMD 700
Motherboard ASUS ????
Ram 512M

O/S: Openserver 5.0.6 (all available patches as of 8/1/2004
Tape Controller: Advansys 940U
Tape Drive: Tandberg SLR5
Hard Drive Controller: Adaptec Ad160
Hard Drives: IBM DDRS 40G
Network Card 3Com 3C905C

Exact Error: Failed to retrieve local host device list. Backup Manager cannot Continue to Start

Details button: I don't have the exact information here but it brings up a script that appears to be reading default media values.

Backups were working fine until 3 days ago, now when backup script runs the system locks up (Hard).

If we run the same script and change the device path to be our secondary drive (/u) instead of the tape drive it works fine.

Server is 2 hour drive from my location and I would like to be armed with all information I can before going there.

Tried removing and re-installing the tape drive with mkdev tape, this did not help.

Problem turned out to be 2 fold, tape drive was bad, replaced and cpio script working great.

Problem with backup manager was default media value was too large, removed all tape drives from system, relinked kernel added drives back and all working now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back