Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to access Alias or Virtual Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeny961

MIS
Jun 26, 2002
US
Multiple Windows 2000 Professional machines are unable to access a virtual name when going through Start> Run and then typing in \\PrintServer. (Our printer Server which is an alias)

When some people type this in, they are getting the following message "Cannot find the file 'printserver'(or one of its components); check to ensure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available."

Some people are able to do this (on Windows 2000 Professional). All Windows 2000 Server and XP machines are able to access this resource.
The ones who are unable to access this are able to ping the print server and access it through Network Neighborhood, just not through Start> Run and typing in the name as \\PrintServer.

The ones who are not able to access this get that message as well as the same message when trying to access the actual server name. (All other Server names are fine). When I go to Start > Run \\Printserver\Printer_Name, the printer prompts to be installed.

Info on our enviornment. All Windows 2000 Pro machines are configured the same, all on SP3 and Office 2000 SR-1a.
Permissions are Everyone on the share (someone who is able to access the share from one PC is unable to access from another person's PC).

We do segregate our network into different VLAN's but the issue appears to be PC specific as I am able to access this but when I take someone's PC that is not able to access this and connect them to my port, I get the same message.
I have looked everywhere with no success.

Thank for your Help
Mikeny961

Although I thought that corrupt user profiles could be the cause of this, wouldn't logging onto other PC's (ones that have never been logged onto before)dismiss the corrupt user profile issue? I will however try this, thanks for the response.

By the way, I also tried the net view /sharename command on a PC that has this issue and the command prompt returns the values of that share. The PC is also able to ping the server.

That is a good point. The change in port is key, and likely has to do with the VLAN. The notion of providing an alias was to help with Net Send more than anything else, and an alias is not replicated between DCs.

"Use the net name command to specify a name for receiving messages. The Messenger service must be started to use the net name command. Each messaging name must be unique on the network. Names created with net name are strictly for messaging, and names are not groups."

You likely will have a similar issue where you can net send a message to the entire Domain, but not send to an alias name in a different network segment.

I guess the bottom line is that the alias was never intended as a resource locator.

Found the issue, an application by the name of View Now Unix is installed on some machines. These same machines are having this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back