Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable loging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinku1980

Technical User
Dec 16, 2003
IN
Hi there,

I have a problem regarding logging in windows. The machine I am using (windows 98)gets hanged up and does not get logged in a normal mode. But when I log in through safe mode, I am easily able to log into windows. It seems to be really urgent and serious problem. Let me know.

Have you recently installed a new program or a piece of hardware? Or even played a new game on your pc?
If so, go into safe mode and uninstall, then try it again.

The test continues...

The machine is used by an end user in our office. There were no new softwares installed on it. Also any game is installed.
It just started occuring in such manner.

Safe mode does not load most of the drivers used normally. Try booting interactively and see if you can determine just where the system hangs up. If all else fails I would save off any important info and then delete all items under network properties then reboot. If this doesn't work try deleting all items in the device mahager and let windows reinstall them (make sure you have all the hardware disks). If this also fails try repairing/reinstalling the OS.

try checking the bootlog.txt file which is hidden in the root of c: for any errors. take the hidden attribute off of it and then delete it. Upon reboot, another will be generated.
Try checking your startup items using msconfig from safe mode. Make sure all programs listed are suppose to be there. Running an updated virus scan, spybot, and adaware could prove helpful as well.
Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back