Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UMS vs. IMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinsd

MIS
Apr 17, 2008
US
We currently use IMS on 4.2 and are thinking of switching to UMS, because IMS causes delays in starting Outlook with even moderate sized mailboxes (and terrible if you have lots of inbox subfolders). The only problem I can see (besides cost, don't get me started about no credit for IMS licenses), is that the IMAP integration is just an email with an attachment. If I'm understanding this right, you lose the option you get with IMS to listen to the message through the phone. The only way I can see to keep that functionality is through the web client. Am I understanding the options correctly? If so, does Avaya have any plans to add the listen via phone option to the IMAP client?

I tried and i can remember that when you deleted the message by phone or webbased that is showed deleted in your mailbox

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

In terms of simple install and operation UMS is the only answer unless you absolutely must playback your voicemails on your phone using Outlook.

UMS IMAP is certainly a little bit more than just an email with a wav attached. The status of that message (new, read, played) is synchronized with other methods of mailbox access. So it is a up from the free voicemail email option.

Its also a weel established common standard, so the obnoxious requirement for Exchange and Outlook are removed (ridiculous requirements in a small business product) and a whole wonderful world of try using whatever you like is opened up.

By the same virtue of being a standard, it does what it does and so the options for future features is limited.

Yes it can't playback through the phone. I can't see how they could get around that except maybe using the UMS web interface in parallel to have a 'play this message through the users extension' link embedded into the IMAP email.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back