Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

umount before reboot/shutdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sillyVM

Technical User
Feb 14, 2007
US
Hi, all your linux gurus, I am wondering that how can I umount one of my san storage device before I go into a reboot/shutdown?

I am using a ubuntu/debian system. Thank you.

I thought that linux umounts all devices from fstab during shutdown.

Is this a device you are not mounting through fstab?

Are you experiencing some kind of error/symptom? A little more detail on the error or device would be supportive.

Otherwise, just stick something in a /etc/init.d/ or /init/rc.d... script to do the work.

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

Thanks for replying thedaver, if i don't do a "umount" before i do a "reboot", I will receive an error and the system will be stopped on the shutdown process. Detailed error is RIP scsi_mod:scsi_device_put+0x1b/0x60, RSP <ffff8100e034bdf8> CR2: ffffffff8830d200 Killed [Failed]

*Will now restart
<7>ide-cdrom 1.0:shutdown
sd 0:0:0:0: shutdown

And it just hang from here and never went to shutdown and reboot. My guess is if I put something like "umount /dev/sdc" in one of the rc script I will be fine. But I don't know which one to put in this ubuntu/debian system. I know where my startup script is, but usually don't need to modify "shutdown/reboot" ones. >.< Thanks

Most likely, if you're mounting the san storage on a permanent basis, you should be doing it with /etc/fstab. If you're not, you should change it. It will automatically unmount it at shutdown, and you won't have to worry about additional scripts.

Agreed, it should be in /etc/fstab

However, if that's not feasable for whatever reason, you should be able to put something in your /etc/init.d/rc6.d (Runlevel 6--- what happens when you shut down)... if I remember correctly.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

Just my 2¢
-Cole's Law: Shredded cabbage

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back