Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UML diagrams from code 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevonTaig

Programmer
May 2, 2001
US
Could anybody recommend a tool or utility that would allow me to generate UML diagrams from C# source code. This is just for classroom exercises and demonstration purposes only, so I certainly don't want or need anything as complex (or expensive) as Rationale Rose. Basically, in a classroom exercise that I am developing, students create a few simple classes that demonstrate inheritance (Shapes, Rectangles, Squares etc...). What I would like is for them to be able to click a button and have UML generated from the classes they have coded.

Visio will also do this but it looks like you are looking for something a little less expensive.

Microgold ( and Rational are the only ones I have come across. Both are fairly expensive. I am looking for something to do the same, class diagram from code, that is free - open source would be nice too :).

I was not aware Visio could do this. You can produce UML diagrams with Visio but can it make them up from code for you?

Aaron

There is a book by Wrox press on integrating Visio and .NET. I haven't read it, but it has recieved excellent reviews.

From the web site...

The integration of Visual Studio .NET Enterprise Architect and Visio for Enterprise Architects provides a formidable tool. Visio offers powerful diagramming capabilities, including such things as creating UML models, mapping out databases with Entity Relationship diagrams, and aiding the development of distributed systems. Its integration with Visual Studio .NET Enterprise Architect means that C# or Visual Basic .NET code can be generated from the UML diagrams, and Visual Studio .NET projects can be reverse engineered to UML models.

You might check the UML site
I have used Visio and it works quite well for code to UML from Visual Studio. It also works in the opposite direction quite well although I have not used it too much in that direction.

My company uses EnterpriseArchitect.

We have reverse engineered a very large web-based application (several million lines of code) and were very impressed with the accuracy of the resulting diagrams.

I'm not sure of the cost but I do know it was much cheaper than Rose. There is also a 30 day trial available at

I'm definitely having fun with this tool -- though we use it mostly for normal design, rather than reverse engineering.

Phin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back