Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ultrasparc 5 Powers on but no boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenriz

IS-IT--Management
May 21, 2001
Hi everyone. I have a Sun Ultrasparc 5 that turns on, you get that signature Sun "beep", the fans turn on but the computer doesn't boot any longer. The green light does "not" illuminate either. Does that signify a possible power suuply or a motherboard problem? or both perhaps?

There is a couple things that will cause the Sparc 5 not to boot. One is if you have a missing or bad keyboard.

You can connect a hyperterminal (Windows PC COM1 or COM2) or another Sparc Station serial port "A" (using the tip command) through a Null Modem to the Serial Connector on the back of the UltraSparc 5. When you turn on your Sparc 5, you will be able to view POST (Power On Self Test). It may indicate if you have a hardware problem. It has been a while since I worked on a Sparc 5. I think the DB9 connector is the serial port that is labled "A", the DB25 Connector is labled "B". You want to use the port that is labled "A".

Set up the HyperTerminal:
COM1
Baud Rate 9600
Data Bits 8
Parity None
Stop Bits 1
Flow Control None

Turn on the Sparc 5 and hit <Stop> D. This will enable set debug-switch? = True. Turn off the Sparc 5 and turn it back on again... You should see the results of POST being displayed on the hyperterminal or tip session window.

thanks! I will try these things tomorrow and report back to you...
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back