Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ultra bios not installed???

Status
Not open for further replies.

bldg13

Technical User
Oct 2, 2001
US
i get a message that says something like "...ultra bios not installed because there are no drives attached..." well i dont want to sound dumb but what does this mean, is it important, and how and should i fix it?

Can you give more information please? (like what your hardware config is, when this message appears & when it started, is there anything obviously not working on your system etc)

I just got an ASUS A7V133 MB with 4 IDE ports on it. 2 are for Ultra100/66 ATA drives and when I had the hd attached to this port the Award bios would not recognize the drives but it would go to a second bios screen for Promise Ultra 100 Bios and that would recognize it. Since it took longer to boot and the drive is old and isn't Ultra ATA/100 I switched it to the other IDE ports and upon boot I saw the same message as listed above and the Award bios recognized the drive.

More info about system would help.

I have the same motherboard and the same problem as listed above... Ultra100 Bios etc. I see this everytime I boot up my computer just before it goes into Windows. I can't figure it out. I have chatted with several computer techs and they can't figure it out either. I have a new 40 gig harddrive that is ATA 100 and my old 20 gig is the same. I am stumped.

I have the same board you have 2 promise Ultra ATA 100 IDE slots that use the promise ATA100 controller.
the screen you are seeing is the Promise controller. (it is saying there are no drives attached. if you attach a drive to it will recognize it)
Windows Xp recognizes the Promise IDE controller as a SCSI Controller and gives you the option to install up to 4 extra IDE drives on your motherboard.

I have even installed XP on this controller using the 'F6' option at the beginning of the install for extra drivers.(you use the promise controller driver floppy)

the motherboard is highly configurable and with a BIOS upgrade it can use up to a 2100 XP Athlon CPU
Till I gave the computer to my wife. I had it configured as a Web server using Xp.
I had:
1 CD-rom
1 CDRW-rom
6 40 gig harddrives

goto this web site for more info on the motherboard

If I install the new bios, my system will work properly again?

tundraman

do you have the drive in the proper ide port(Ata 100.) Do you have this bios extension turned on in the bios. You have to turn it on to work or to get rid of this message. This is what worked for me with this board. I can't remember where in the bios it is but it's there.

Sorry guys... I was sick and then I went away. I just attempted to put it in the proper port, but it says the cables I am using suck and then it asks for my boot disk... What have a done wrong? I know I have to get better cables, and I will do that. But, whe is it asking for a boot disk. Will I have to install WindowsXP again?

tundraman ,
Just a guess. Can't boot from hard drive due to wrong cable, so requests floppy.

Don't know if this helps, but in my experience with this board (A7V133 up to bios 1007?) no drive was able to boot from the Promise ATA controller IDE ports, even when the HD was configured correctly (ie it did boot up on the primary IDE channels - which BTW also supports ATA100). This was a problem as I wanted to use the Promise controlled ports to do a RAID-0 array for better HD speed. However, I found I could use the Promise controlled IDE channels when I had a third drive for booting up on the primary IDE channels. Seems that the Promise controlled IDE doesn't function to support booting up (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). I resorted to using the primary channels only since they do support ATA 100 and I had different HD sizes (NOTE: ATA100 works only with correct IDE cables, not ATA66-type cables).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back