Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ugrade to VFP 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

rohbe

IS-IT--Management
Aug 30, 2001
US
Some questions about upgrading from 5.0 to 8.0. We have a simple application in 5.0. The only problem we have is that the run-time distibution of the application does not work on some of the machines and have never been able to figure out why - get a Unable to Load Resource File error message when running any VFP application at all. Hopefully VFP 8 fixes this.

Will VFP 8 run on Windows 98 - docuementation calls for Win 2K and above?

The current application doesn't do much more than generate various emails - it is actually being called from a much more extensive Fox 2.6 app. Any issues with upgrading from VFP 5?

Whats the best place on the web price/reliability to purchase VFP upgrades?

Thanks,
Jean

rohbe

The only problem we have is that the run-time distibution of the application does not work on some of the machines and have never been able to figure out why - get a Unable to Load Resource File error message when running any VFP application at all. Hopefully VFP 8 fixes this.

A call to Miscrosoft might have solve this problem. I have many VFP5.0 applications running on all kinds of configurations and this has never been an issue.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Microsoft no longer support 5.0.

Thanks, Jean

Jean,

In general, I would think that upgrading across three versions just to solve one problem isn't a good idea. It will cost you a lot of time (and money) to upgrade, and you might be better off trying to solve the problem in the original version.

On the other hand, if you are a regular VFP user, you will find vesion 8 to be vastly superior to version 5.

Will VFP 8 run on Windows 98 - docuementation calls for Win 2K and above?

I am currently running it on Win 98, although it is not officially supported. I had to manually install GDI Plus in order to get it working. That applies to the developement environment. Run-time apps do run normally under Win 98.

Whats the best place on the web price/reliability to purchase VFP upgrades?

Depends partly what county you're in. In general, any of the big software retailers will supply it. Or try Amazon. However, I believe you will have to purchase the full product, as ver 8.0 upgrade cannot be applied to ver 5.0 (but check that with the supplier).

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

My Visual Foxpro web site: My Crystal Reports web site:

Upgrade from 5.0 is still available through some distributors but not Amazon as they only list 7.0 and show it as a discontinued item. Maybe they know something we don't know. :)

Thanks for the Win 98 info - I was hoping that would be the case.

Jean

dont see the reason to upgrade to 5.0, since we are at doors of VFP9, this would leave you way behind. also, if you try vfp8.0 you'll find so much good things and tools that you wouldn't loose.

just to mention some of them:
cursoradapter
collection, man these things rock!!!
structure errors handling TRY..CATCH
INSERT INTO table from (select * from table) this thing is almost essential
ability to send a query result to a readwrite cursor
higlight a grid row natively

and not to mention verithing regardin Europa (VFP9), do a little search for that and you will find a lot of good things, reports handle as objets among them

I've seen that error message when the temp directory specified in CONFIG.FPW does not exist.

Craig Berntson
MCSD, Visual FoxPro MVP, Author, CrysDev: A Developer's Guide to Integrating Crystal Reports"

CONFIG.FPW had no path to .TMP files but I did add the statements:

TMPFILES = C:EDITWORK = C:SORTWORK = C:
and still got

VISUAL FOXPRO CANNOT START. COULD NOT LOAD RESOURCES..PRESS F1 FOR HELP

Thanks,
Jean

I've had this problem before, and it wasn't the Foxuser resource file. It was the VFP5.DLL file that was corrupted. When you uninstall VFP, it doesn't remove this file from the Windows\System folder. You must manually delete it, then reinstall.

-BP (Barbara Peisch)

I have tried copying vfp5.dll and vfp500.dll from two different systems to both the application folder on the target system and the WINNT\SYSTEM folder on the target system and still no luck.

I am about ready to give up and upgrade.

Thanks, Jean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back