Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Uggh! Update Query Won't Work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyal8r

Technical User
Sep 4, 2007
US
Hey guys-
I have 2 tables I am working with. The first one is the raw data I am importing (tbImport)- it includes records that are NEW, as well as records that are existing in the 2nd table. Some of the existing records will have updated info in this table, and will need the corresponding records updated as such.

The 2nd table is the main database table. It holds pre-existing records (tbListing).

I have read that I can do a RIGHT JOIN on an UPDATE query, and it will not only update the existing records, but- will append any new records to the tbListing table. I'm running the query- and it's saying that it's going to return/update ZERO records. There are 28,000+ records that will need to be updated at this time. What is going on here? WHy won't it update?

Currently, there are NO records in the pre-existing DB (I realize that this should just cause it to append all the new records on it- but tomorrow's update will append AND update at the same time).

I have the Primary Key set and matched in both tables (LN2 & MLS). Here's the LOOOONG SQL... Can you help me out here? I'm very frustrated!
THANK YOU!!!

UPDATE tbImport RIGHT JOIN tbListing ON tbImport.LN2 = tbListing.MLS SET tbImport.LN2 = tbListing.MLS, tbImport.PROPTYPE = tblisting.PropertyType, tbImport.ST = tblisting.Status, tbImport.HSN1 = tblisting.HouseNumber, tbImport.CP = tblisting.Compass, tbImport.STR = tblisting.StreetName, tbImport.SC = tblisting.Suffix, tbImport.UN = tblisting.Unit, tbImport.ADDRESS = tblisting.Address, tbImport.CT = tblisting.City, tbImport.ZP = tblisting.Zip, tbImport.Z4 = tblisting.Zip4, tbImport.COU = tblisting.County, tbImport.SBD = tblisting.Subdivision, tbImport.GRID = tblisting.Grid, tbImport.AREA = tblisting.Area, tbImport.BR = tblisting.Beds, tbImport.BATHS = tblisting.Baths, tbImport.SQ = tblisting.SqFt, tbImport.[LEVEL] = tblisting.Level, tbImport.YR = tblisting.YearBuilt, tbImport.PPOL = tblisting.Pool, tbImport.BOOKNUMINT = tblisting.Book, tbImport.MA = tblisting.MapNum, tbImport.PN = tblisting.Parcel, tbImport.PL = tblisting.ParcelLetter, tbImport.BOOK_PG = tblisting.BookPage, tbImport.LT = tblisting.LotNumber, tbImport.OLP = tblisting.OriginalListPrice, tbImport.LP = tblisting.ListPrice, tbImport.COE = tblisting.COE, tbImport.SP = tblisting.SoldPrice, tbImport.TN = tbListing.Occupant, tbImport.FP = tbListing.Fireplace, tbImport.ROOF = tbListing.Roof, tbImport.PPOL1 = tbListing.PrivatePool, tbImport.LTSZ = tbListing.LotSize, tbImport.LS = tbListing.LotDim, tbImport.PRK = tbListing.Parking, tbImport.DTYP = tbListing.DwelProj, tbImport.HRSE = tbListing.Horses, tbImport.BD = tbListing.Builder, tbImport.HS = tbListing.HighSchool, tbImport.HSD = tbListing.HighSchoolDistrict, tbImport.TRM1 = tbListing.[MortgageTerms], tbImport.MISC = tbListing.Misc, tbImport.PROP = tbListing.PropertyDescription, tbImport.APSF = tbListing.SqFtRange, tbImport.OWNS = [tbListing].[Ownership], tbImport.[ON] = [tbListing].[OwnerName], tbImport.OT = [tbListing].[OwnerPhone], tbImport.TY = [tbListing].[TaxYr], tbImport.SHOW = [tbListing].[Show], tbImport.RM1 = [tbListing].[Remarks], tbImport.RM7 = [tbListing].[RealtorRemarks], tbImport.TX = [tbListing].[Taxes], tbImport.CB = [tbListing].[CoBroke], tbImport.LD = [tbListing].[ListDate], tbImport.PND = [tbListing].[PendDate], tbImport.MARKETDATE = [tbListing].[OffMarketDate], tbImport.SD = [tbListing].[ChangeDate], tbImport.CD = [tbListing].[ContractDate], tbImport.ATEDISPLAY = [tbListing].[ExpirationDate], tbImport.CDOM = [tbListing].[CDOM], tbImport.ADOM = [tbListing].[ADOM], tbImport.DOM = [tbListing].[DOM];

ok- Just changed the SQL to a LEFT Join, and it seems to work. However- it doesn't make sense to me. Can someone explain it to a struggling newbie?
Thanks

ok- Just tried to run the query- and it says it didn't update all 28,000+ records due to Key Violations. What's the problem here?
Thanks

I personally would wait until your table troubles are solved before trying to move on to the import....

thread181-1407022
thread181-1406003

Actually, I got the update working late last night. I was putting together the query wrong in access- and had to do a left join with the data- worked perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back