Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UFSDUMP USAGE 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBDIR

MIS
Sep 5, 2003
GB
Hello, Is it possible to carry out a ufsdump command to backup all slices at the same time?

Solaris 7

Regards

Not really, as ufsdump is specifically designed for filesystem backups as the name suggests. It is easy, however, to put a number of ufsdumps in the same script and run them consecutively. HTH.

Great, sorry can you suggest a shell script or suitable links to basic script?

Many Thanks again

No problem. The follwing is an extract of one of our scripts:

ufsdump 0fuc /dev/rmt/0cbn /
echo \/ backed up at `date` >> /tmp/dumpit.out
ufsdump 0fuc /dev/rmt/0cbn /usr
echo \/usr backed up at `date` >> /tmp/dumpit.out

Basically, the first command backs up the root (/) filesystem to device /dev/rmt/0cbn (note that the n specifies the 'no-rewind' version of the device, so that it's positioned at the end of the save when completed). A line is then inserted in /tmp/dumpit.out to record the save (it might be better to replace /tmp with another directory as this gets emptied when a rebbot takes place).

the next ufsdump command then saves /usr to the same tape, following on from the first, and again writes a report to /tmp/dumpit.out. Add more of these type of commands to backup your other filesystems as necessary.

Your final save could be written to /dev/rmt/0cb so that the tape DOES rewind to the beginning at the end.

Hope this helps - post again if anything's not clear.

In Tru64 unix, system must be booted through CD when we take dump backup. How about Solairs?

None of our Solaris servers require booting using the CD to perform a ufsdump. All I have found it necessary is to ensure is that all database processes etc (eg Oracle) need to be shutdown to ensure consistency. No problems have ever manifested themselves when restoring to our test server using this method. Whether this would work with Tru64 (never having used it), I'm afraid I can't say.

For me I will simply boot into single user mode & carry out the backups

Thanks for all postings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back