Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UFSDUMP OF REMOTE FILES

Status
Not open for further replies.

inma

Technical User
Apr 5, 2001
ES
Hello, Is it possible to do a ufsdump into a tape of server A with some files of server B
Regards

Hi,

As long as server B can "see" the tape drive on server A yes. You do the ufsdump of the file(s) and pipe the output into a dd command which has the server A tape drive defined as its output.

HTH

Ray

As Ray has said, as long as B can see A then it's no problem. Use the f option with ufsdump ...
Code:
ufsdump f <dump_file>

Use dump_file as the file to dump to, instead of /dev/rmt/0. If dump_file is specified as -, dump to standard output. If the name of the file is of the form machine:device, the dump is done from the specified machine over the network using rmt(1M). Since ufsdump is normally run by root, the name of the local machine must appear in the /.rhosts file of the remote machine. If the file is specified as user@machine:device, ufsdump will attempt to execute as the specified user on the remote machine. The specified user must have a .rhosts file on the remote machine that allows the user invoking the command from the local machine to access the remote machine.
Greg.

Thanks Ray and Grep, I think I did not explain well.
What I want to do is this from server A:

ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0 serverB:/home/file

inma,

Your command, from serverB should look something like :-

ufsdump 0ubf - /home/file | dd of=serverA:/dev/rmt/0

can't say that I've done it the other way by instigating the save on serverA.

HTH

Ray

Why do you want to do that? Why can't you run the dump from server B?

If not, can you mount the server B directory on server A?

Greg.

Hi Greg,I have mounted the server B directory (/datos) on server A (/vol18), but when I want to do ufsdump of it, this message appears:
# ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0 /vol18
DUMP: `/vol18' is not on a locally mounted filesystem
DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.

inma

Why don't you send the data to the tape drive on the system via ufsdump 0uf systemname:/dev/rmt/0 /vol18???

Just a thought.

Net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back