Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UDP Socket Overflows 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

prisoner

MIS
Jan 17, 2000
US
I am aware from the Cisco web site that UDP overflow messages are common in Cat 4000, 5000 and 6000 switches. However, my question is with regard to four CAT4006 switches on site. Each were purchased at the same time and have the same HW, FW and SW versions. One, in particular, logged over 30,000 UDP overflow messages in 1 1/2 days, while the other three were well below 1,000 for the same time period. I have captured data with a probe to identify the source, and am certaing that the source is not doing anything extra on this switch than the other three. Is anyone aware of any hidden commands in CAT OS code 6.1(2) that will allow me to compare the buffer allocations between the switches? Has anyone else experienced this and have any ideas or suggestions for troubleshooting? Thanks.

Dood!

Can you please paste the error messages you are receiving to a reply of this post??? I'd like to check them out. As for comparing buffer allocations, I'm sure I can get a few commands. The 4006 that is sending out all these UPD msg's can you send also the output of a show port? I'd like to check it out, any inconsistencies on those ports?

rgds,
tkc

Sorry Kidcisco, I just saw your reply today (only 2+ weeks late). An example of the error message is as follows:
2001 Jun 04 10:53:29 cdt -05:00 %IP-3-UDP_SOCKOVFL:UDP socket 161 overflow
As mentioned, this error message is on a list of well known error messages logged by Cisco (non-IOS)Catalyst switches as seen at: Three days after my original post, one of the asics on the Supervisor went bad and the Sup was replaced. The overflows have dropped to about 10% of where they peaked before the asic fault. However, this box still consistently logs about 8x the amount of overflows than the next 4006. I've performed comparison reports on the configs in all four boxes from CiscoWorks 2000, and have not seen any significant differences other than the obvious (hostname and IP address diff's, etc.). If you'd like to see the "show port" output, I'd be happy to send as an attachment to your email address, rather than copying pages of text to this forum. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back