Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UDP on a 3 digit plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phvoice

MIS
Mar 24, 2004
US
I am looking to connect a Definity G3siR6 to an IP Office. The Definity right now is on a 3 digit plan that they do not want to change.

We are looking for a way to route calls across a PRI tie trunk using UDP? I see that UDP can be setup as either 4 or 5 digits. Is there a way to add a 4 digit UDP range and then strip the first digit off in addition to the UDP code to have it sent to a 3 digit extension built on the IP Office?

Will a DID number pointed at a 3 digit extension on the Definity be able to be passed through to the IP Office?

Yes you can have the route pattern del (strip) the AAR code and the first digit of the extension thus passing only three digits to the IP office. But you will be dialing four digits to get the IP office extensions. For DID you could use the incoming call handling page of the trunk group screen to add a fourth digit for an extension or blocks of ext numbers to be passed to the IP office then the route will delete the first digit and pass on only the last three.

You can't have a dial plan for 3 digits and program udp. The digit string in the dial plan must be made an extension with a 4 digit length.

This is off the top, there may be other ways to accomplish what you need done.

Thank you gphone for the response. I have two systems connected already this way. So I played with it, and already have your above suggestion working.

I am currently trying to get it seamless from the user side so they do not have to add a number in front of it. Is there a way to do AAR conversion?

For example if the customer already has an ext 221. I have the UDP built as 4221, and it is successfully passing a call when dialing 4221 to an ext 221 built on the IP Office.

Is there a way for someone dialing 221 on the Definity to have it converted to 4221 in order to hit the UDP code successfully and be passed to the IP Office as 221?

Any other suggestions on how to get this to work is greatly appreciated. Basically connecting the Definity to the IP Office via a PRI Tie. All outside calls will be hitting the Definity first. If the call is for a 3 digit ext on the IP Office it should be able to be routed to it across the PRI Tie Trunk

I don't think the aar code is really dial accessible so it wouldn't reduce the number of digits a user would have to dial.

An ugly way would be to program the remote extensions as x ported ext on the definity then to a cov pa rem which would change it to the udp ext. UDP would remain in place so DID would work. Though you may not have enough sw to support that many extra x ported extensions. Look at 'displ capacity' under total subscribribed ports and see what you have available.

If under a 100 exts on the IP office, you may make the trunk group access code the first digit of the extension and then on the IP office have it add the first digit. Leave UDP as set to perform the DID translation.

It seems there would be a better way but since UDP can't be used under 4 digits I'm not certain there is.

I'm typing this as I'm thinking. In features there is an auto AAR code which may serve as a first digit of thier extension. I've never used it but it should make the aar code dial accessible. Though if over 99 extensions may be a moot point. Though there is also a second ars code that could be used as well. I'm not certain how it would all work out but could be something to play with since you have them to play with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back