Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UDL Creation

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayKusch

MIS
Oct 30, 2001
US
Have an intersting situation in creating a UDL file. Have made plenty of them through the UDL creation app but in this case I need to create on manually.

SO ... I did as all the MS KB articles suggest by opening a text file, adding the needed connection strings and associated text and then saving it as a UDL.

The new file changes its icon to that of a proper UDL file and all looks great UNTIL you try to click and open it. It comes back w/ the error of:

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\Test.udl : File cannot be opened. Ensure it is a valid Data Link file.

I am using MDAC 2.8 RTM.

ANY IDEAS OR SUGGESTIONS????

Thanks

J. Kusch

Make an empty text file, rename it as .udl and open it. Later you can manually edit .udl with text editor.

Cheers

[blue]Backup system is as good as the latest recovery[/blue]

I was able to finally accomplish the creation of a Dynamically created UDL. Here is the code for the SP...
Code:
ALTER  PROCEDURE CreateDynamicUDL

@ConnectionString      nVarChar(4000),
           @FileName              nVarChar(256)

AS

CREATE TABLE ##UDL (

LineNumber     Int IDENTITY PRIMARY KEY,
           UDLtxt             nVarchar(4000) NOT NULL
)

INSERT INTO ##UDL VALUES ('[oledb]')

INSERT INTO ##UDL VALUES ('; Everything after this line is an OLE DB initstring')

INSERT INTO ##UDL VALUES (@ConnectionString)

DECLARE @SQL_Command            nVarChar(4000)

SET    @SQL_Command       = 'BCP "SELECT UDLtxt FROM ##UDL ORDER BY LineNumber" queryout "'+@FileName+'" -T -w'

EXEC Master..xp_cmdshell @SQL_command

DROP TABLE ##UDL

To execute it, pass the init string and the udl file name and path where you want the udl file created.

Code:
EXEC  CreateDynamicUDL  

‘Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Password=Password#1;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=My_Access;Initial Catalog=MyDatabase;Data Source=MySQLSERVER’,

‘C:\DynamicUDL.udl’

Thanks

J. Kusch

Why ?

Cheers :)

[blue]Backup system is as good as the latest recovery[/blue]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back