Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UCX 50 - Static on inbound calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ORPG

MIS
Jul 17, 2014
US
Folks, this customer has 13 trunks - 8 DAHDI and 5 SIP. The sip trunks run through a Grandstream Gateway and add another three POTS to the system. The routes are divided as inbound 8 and 5 outbound. The 5 SIP are the outbound. Some of the outbound calls have intermittent problems with static. I have checked all the trunks for cable/telco trouble. They seem to be ok. Any suggestions please?

Sorry, after proof reading, the calls that have static are INBOUND please.

Have you been able to replicate the static calling into one of the POTS lines with it hooked into a butt set? This can help determine if the equipment or the line is the problem.

Hey Random 192, thanks for the response! I monitored the POTS lines for more than three hours yesterday and heard nothing. As a guess though, I believe the noise is coming from the UCX itself, because I had the SIP/Gransstream trunks tured off for more than a week. The problem persists.

7316e Nostar and the problem is not limited to any particular extension number either.

Oh good this is easy then. Your digital station module is the likely problem. With IP its a very binary connection it either works or it doesn't. So you can get call path drops and stutter associated with packet jitter but "static" is generally an analog/digital issue. Do you have a spare DSM module to swap out?

I do not have another. I can order one. The ones I installed 6 years ago are the Nortel DSMs.Should I get one of those? I recall I had some changes that needed to be made before I could install them. Or, would the E Metrotel one be better please?

If you can find one and know how to make it work Nortel DSM should be fine. I like the newer DSM-16s and their small form factor.

Great! I'll find a BCM DSM on line and get back to you! Thanks so much!

A nosy curious question...
If the UCx handles SIP Trunks then why is there a Grandstream in the way?

Did you verify the analog ports on the Grandstream are clean? you can use any analog set to test.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Just curious...

The thread started with an analog trunk problem. Unless I missed something, the suggested "solution" appears to be to go to old DSM hardware. If the problem is indeed with analog trunks, why would anyone expect the problem to go away after a change of the digital set interface device?

In my opinion, there is a simple test to determine if the problem is with the analog trunks or the digital set interface device. When you make internal calls (extension to extension), analog trunks are not used at all. Therefore, if there are no issues with static on internal calls, the problem is not the digital set interface device.

If there is static on internal calls, you can look at the configuration of the digital set interface device / the UCx system. If the digital phones (the DSM16) are not collocated with the UCx system, you should make sure that the jitter buffer is enabled on the Nortel Settings page (packet loss due to a remote jittery network connection could sound like static).

If internal calls are okay, but external calls over the analog trunks exhibit the problem, you should focus on the analog trunks. First, you should make sure that the ucx_ectune script is executed while the 8 trunks are connected (you should follow the E-MetroTel documentation for setting up analog trunks). Second, it is important to understand what the users call "static". The type of impairment could provide an indication where the problem might be. My recommendation would be to record a couple of such calls and send the recordings to E-MetroTel support.

This is late to the party, but thought worth adding - have seen on 2 different Grandstream FXO boxes where the caller can hear a little bit of static, or hiss on the line when they talk. It's somewhat faint, but it is there. If you clip a butt set on the line it sounds clean, only through the phone you can hear it. These were 2 different boxes at 2 different sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back