Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UCM in an SCN, irrational fear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexLD

IS-IT--Management
Aug 5, 2011
US
I've always tried to stay away from the UCM for some reason but now I have a site that has a server failure and they have decided they don't want to have a physical server there anymore. My options are to run the VM on their central VMPro Server over the 1.5Mbps WAN link or to get a UCM for the IP500 and continue the distributed setup (9 sites). If you guys had to choose, which would you go with and why?

Just to clarify, I did mean IP500 V2 running R9.

What do you mean with UCM? Please clarify as the term UCM is used for many solutions.

The unified communications module.

I have only had bad experiences with the UC Module. Last one I installed crapped out in about 3 months. I would suggest maybe hosting VM Pro on a virtual machine instead.

Since the replacement and SSD upgrades we have had no fall out on these units. They all are stable and running fine.
Nevertheless I prefer a separate linux server for a SCN environment.

The goal is to have zero physical servers in this one office, so that precludes VMPro on a local VM. It's either VMPro at another site over the 1.5Mbps WAN or the UCM.

The UC module only supports 6 IP500's in a SCN setup. So you would need to look at a server based installation for this solution.

if i read you post correctly you have a central VMPro with distributed servers at each site (standalone VM Pros & each site would not be supported)

a UCM should be ok like this but I would personaly prefer an applications server in this configuration
How many VM Ports does the site have & how comples is their ayto attendant requirement
if not too large then I would settle for a centlaised VM setup

A Maintenance contract is essential, not a Luxury.
Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

I'd go for a server that meets the required specs and use the Application Server iso file to create a Linux VoiceMail Pro / One-X Server.

Additionally, when we've tried this before we've had issues routing (One-X), we linked the sites using the LAN2 port, however the customers network on both sites was connected to the LAN Port. Getting the LAN1 from one site, routing via LAN2, to the LAN2 port at another site and then routing from there to LAN1 was a task and a half!

They don't use One-X or any other apps at the distributed site and the distributed sites have only 4VM ports. So this UCM would not be doing the central part, it would be handling the distributed site.

Then still the 6 site limit is an issue.
Don't do it is my advise.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

I'll just move them over to the centralised server and see how that works over the WAN. 1.5Mbps isn't ideal but it could be worse I suppose.

Running an SCN over a point to point T1 is the safest most reliable way you can use to run Avaya SCN or VoIP, in my personal experience is one of the best if not the best way of doing it. As long as you have QoS setup properly the location of the VM Pro is virtually irrelevant, you can have it pretty much anywhere you want on the WAN.

RE
APSS - SME
ACIS - SME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back