Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UCA 5.1 via VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuart3380

Technical User
Mar 7, 2013
GB
Good afternoon

We have upgraded our phone systems to the UCA 5.1 softphones. We do not have the teleworker function.

We are tring to get the phone to work via VPN (greenbow client)

Once connected on VPN we can ping the UCA server and ip address.

On launching the phone we get the message failed to connect, could not establish a connection with the UC server.

I have addeed inbound and outbound rules in the firewall, but still no luck.

We have also added ip address to the host file on the remote

has any body got any ideas.

thanks

are you using fqdn? do you have an internal dns that resolve the name of your UCA server? does your MBG know what to do with your uca client requests? is your MBG in the dmz port of your firewall? do you have all needed ports forwarded to the MBG?

Hi Stuart3380,

I have experienced this same problem before! where i have configured the UCA softphone on the customers local network and everything works fine just as you would expect.

However when it comes to getting the UCA working via a VPN connection - Mitel will state that you need the (MBG) Teleworker..... but they won't say that the softphone is not supported via the VPN option as they have it staed within their technical documentation.

I have experienced the above, but found they only way to resolve was to use this forum - your problem looks to be an issue with your firewall.

If you are able to ping the name of the server, i.e. uca-mitel or 192.168.1.10 then your routing is ok and your pc can see the UCA server - from there your pc needs to connect to the server via ports, and if these are blocked.... this is when you will receive (could not establish a connection with the UC server).

How does your network look - i.e what type of firewall do you use? and how is this connected to your Internet connection?

Can you connect your pc or laptop to your firewall the same side of your internet connection? and check to see if you have the same problem.

Ping is great but doesn't test if the necessary ports are open. Wonder if you need the VPN network added as a local network in the UCA server?

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

Hi

Sorry for the late reply, been away on leave.

first of all thanks for your replies. We are using a windows firewall, and i am relatively new to the networking side.

i have tried disabling all firewalls on windows firewall and the linksys vpn rv082 and allowing all traffic through the bt router. still no luck.

Are all ports opened when a firewall is disabled

We dont want to commit to buying the teleworker mode, can you trial this product??

Cheers

I use a UCA 5.1 softphone over an AT&T VPN client with no issues. Not sure how the VPN is setup in our head office but never have used the teleworker functionality of the UCA client. That would suggest its possible you are just not setup correctly. However not sure what the issue is. Can you access the web client across the VPN?

As prevously stated have you added the local IP address ( add the subnet ) you get via the VPN to "local networks" in the Mitel Standard Linux server hosting the UCA?

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

when connected to the VPN can you:

Ping the FQDN of the UCA server, does it resolve to the correct IP and do you get a reply?
Do you have ANY TW setting configured, if so remove them.
Considering above is a success can you connect to FQDN of UCA server on port 36008 from the PC?
If you fail above check the network settings/firewall on the PC itself - I think a VPN connection has a different setting to that of local LAN on Windows' built in firewall.

scan if these ports are open:

Ports used for the UCa Server
TCP Ports 5060, 6015, 5090, 5070, 6010, 1099, 5106, 5085, and 5269
SSL ports 5061, 6016, 5091, 5071, 6011, and 5086 (for SIP TLS support)
SSL port 36008 for Web socket support

UDP ports 6015, 5090, 5070, 6010, 5085, and 18100

these information can be found in the UCA engineering guide

The problem with TCPIP jokes is that when I tell them, all I want is an ACK but usually get FINs and RSTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back