Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UC Module reinstallation - just booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkellow

Technical User
Oct 4, 2010
GB
Hi,

This touches on another recent similar post, so apologies.

I'm trying to factory reset a UC110 module.

I've tried two different memory sticks, including both FAT & FAT32, used "UC Module USB Initiator" to create an appropriate flash drive (option Install, recreate = ticked). This completes fine. I then copy "c110-8.1.94-5_el6" into C110Iso folder.

When inserting the flash drive, the directly connected monitor implies it's connected successfully.

I shutdown the UC110 (upper button on the UC110), following the docs.
I then restarted the UC110 (upper button on the UC110 until both upper LEDs turn from orange to off), having inserted the flash drive.
I then hit F2 to enter the "Phoenix SecureCore Tiano Setup", BIOS/CMOS setup. Select "Boot", then ensure "USB HDD: Generic Flash Drive" is at the top of the boot priority order.
I then Exit, Exit Saving Changes, Yes.

According to the monitor, the UC110 just boots normally.

Having tried both FAT & FAT32, and without and with a .iso extension, any other suggestions please?

Regards
PKellow

You should never go in to the BIOS because you now changed the way it was.
If you remember then put it back to how this setting was ( i do not remember)
You tell the C100 to boot from the USB by holding the button pressed until the leds are going from orange to off.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

I only went into the BIOS because the UC110 was never booting from the flash drive, which I imagine it needs to do to reimage. The BIOS boot sequence puts the flash drive lower in the boot preference sequence than the solid state drive, so without changing the boot sequence I cannot see how the UC110 would boot off the flash to factory reset it. I changed the boot preference sequence on one of the two UC110s only (not installed simultaneously I add) to try to resolve.

I've tried holding the button pressed until the leds are going from orange to off" on two different UC100's and tried two different prepared USB. Both just skip the factory reset and just boot normally.
Any ideas?

regards
PK

No idea´s but i did it yesterday and it went fine by holding the top button to powerup the C110 and i kept it pressed untill both orange leds went off.
It did a complete install as it should.

BAZINGA!

I have similar problems creating the USB Flash Drive with the C110 factory image. I used the UC Module USB Initiator from Avaya and I have limited success creating the USB Flash Drive. I had a colleague that was able to create multiple USB Flash drive which will boot up and load the C110 factory image without any problems following the Alternate boot option. I have tried to create my own USB Flash drive with the C110 factory image and everytime I try to boot-up on the USB Flash Drive that I created with a monitor connected to the UCM card, it indicates Missing operating system. Soon as I try with the USB Flash drive created by my colleague, it works and loads the image.

I have tried creating multiple USB Flash drive (Lexar 8G, Sony 4G, Core Micro 4G, Kingston 16G) and no success. My colleague created the USB Flash drive using a Kingston 16G and it worked. The difference with my Kingston 16G is it did not have an LED light and his model did.

During my testing, I have run the UC Module USB Initiator from different PCs, to and I have the same results. I still suspect it may have something to do with the USB Flash Drive used.

I use this 4Gb Lexar usb stick:

lexar-4gb-flash-drive.jpg

BAZINGA!

I have had the same issue and I just send it back to Avaya and got a new one.

A simple mind delivers great solutions

I have had issues with my test model (trial gift) and it did not load the software anymore.
It turned out to be a problem with the SSD flash disk.

BAZINGA!

I did some additional testing and I was able to get all USB Flash drives that failed to work again. It appears the USB Initiator did not like my 2 Windows 7 PC (laptop and desktop PCs) that I used to initialize the USB Flash Drives. I used another desktop with a clean Windows XP SP3 image. I installed the IP Office Manager 10 (46) on the PC then I installed the USB Initiator 1.06 on the Windows XP SP3. It appears the USB Initiator 1.06 will install the Java and the .NET 4.0, however, it fails to install the USB Initiator 1.06, with the message it requires .NET 3.51 or higher. The fact is installed the .NET 4.0 and it still failed makes no sense. I had to download the .NET 3.51 from Microsoft and install it before the USB Initiator 1.06 would install.

Using the Windows XP SP3 PC, I formatted the USB Flash drive using the Windows Explorer as a FAT32 with the Default allocation size. After I ran the USB Initiator 1.06 and then copied the ISO image to the C110Iso folder and the USB Flash drive worked.

As a test I formatted the USB Flash drive using the Windows Explorer on the Windows XP SP3 PC and then used one of the Windows 7 PCs to run the USB Initiator 1.06. I copied the ISO image to the C110Iso folder and the USB Flash drive failed. I took the same USB Flash Drive and ran the USB Initiator from the Windows XP SP3 PC and the USB Flash drive worked (I did not touch the C110Iso image already on the USB Flash drive).

Hi,

I was using the USB Initiator version (2.0.3), same as suggested by tipeter, however still giving me the same result. I tried hal2100's suggestion, as in using windows XP (when installing USB Initiator, it automatically installed .Net Framework 4.0 however would not install beyond, so I installed .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 then okay). Having created the flash drive using windows XP, I've finally made progress, and it is finally working.

I fully appreciate it should work on Windows 7, however seems windows XP will get around any problems where it doesn't.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Regards
PK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back