Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UC Module for VMPro and Windows machine for OneX Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

vwphone

Programmer
Mar 9, 2005
US
Hello all,

We have a customer that has a UC module running VMPRO and Portal. (IP500V2 running 9.0)
Our salesman underestimated the needs of the client in regards to the portal and we are in need of more than 50 concurrent connections at one time.

Proposed suggestion from Sales:
Install a Windows server/pc to run OneX Portal. Keep VMPRO on the UC so that we will retain the Preferred Edition license (obviously a V1 UC).

My concerns:
This isn't supported. The possible issues are many in my mind. The "magic" that takes place between the UC Module and the control unit might make this a horrible idea.

If I were to attempt this, I believe the correct way to do so would be:
1. Export the callflows and backup the VM Prompts
2. Default the UC module
3. Re-ignite the UCM so that it could be setup not run OneX.
4. Reload callflows and prompts
5. Bring the Server/PC online and load Portal
6. Cross fingers and go for glory

If I had a bench system with a UC Module I would load the client's config and attempt this before going on site but I don't.

The salesman wants me to quote this and I have no idea what might go wrong. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Install the Application Server for Voicemail and 1XP. Keep the UCMv1 in the IPO chassis to keep the preferred edition license. Let the UCM "be the license" and let the AppServer do the work.

Thanks for the reply derfloh.
I thought about doing that too and it certainly sounds better to have two ip addresses to remember rather than 3. Have you or anyone else deployed this configuration?

Almost anyone who's installed more than one UC Module. They're the ace of spades.
Sometimes I only needed VMPro back so I just throw the service on a lappy.

We want to see Fraulein Maria.

holdmusic34: not sure what you mean by your response.
I have installed about 30 of these units. Just not sure what you are getting at.

Have that running on a few sites and no issues so far.
never had issues with Windows updates there either :)

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

So if I want to stop one or both of the applications like voicemail or onex portal on the UC Module all I have to do is stop it in the Webmanager. One question is will the services restart after the server reboots for whatever reason?

If they are programmed to. There is a tick box alongside the service. If it is ticked then the service is supposed to boot and run.

We want to see Fraulein Maria.

One other thing to consider if you install an extenral APS Server in this scenario (& that would be my preferred option) is using the VM service on the UCM as a Backup VM Server

The failure rate of the App server is going to be low but as you have a 2nd VM Pro there any way...

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back