Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ubuntu install

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiscoRC

IS-IT--Management
Jun 15, 2005
US
Guys, I have a brand new laptop bought a few months ago. A Dell w/ 160GB 7200.2 RPM (This is bad ass), 256MB Video, all the latest hardware. I went to download a 2007 Compliant Ubuntu ISO file, it failed to install because of some weird errors about my graphics, or it just will not want to install period.

Then I tried Kubuntu Gusty that did the same thing. I wanted a starter Linux type OS to learn before I'm ready to head over to Red Hat. Although, I had Red Hat CD's which as of right now became Damaged!!!! I was installing it until I put the second CD in boom, shot to hell.

Down anyone know of any reason why it will not install using Ubunto or Kubunto?

Is the i386 the same as x86 processor tpe?

Thanks

R. Corrigan Jr.
Network+, (working on CCENT+CCNA)

Yes, x86 refers to all Intel CPU's of the 286, 386, 486,
pentium etc. family.
Without more details it's difficult to say why your install fails.
There are some repports from people with SATA drives that
they are having problems installing xUbuntu though...
Alt1. Try the Alternative install CD for Ubuntu.
choose the "alternative install cd" at the bottom of the screen,
this is a text-based install-cd.
Alt2. If you are going to switch to RedHat later why not
start with Fedora now?

Other usefull links if you are new to Linux:
:)

Thank you very much for the links...I will definitely let you know how it worked. I'll get to it when I get the chance. I have a spare HD so I can swap it and get the feel of Linux. I figured Ubuntu was the best starter to learn...

Thanks again...

R. Corrigan Jr.

You could also try PCLinuxOS, which is maybe second to Ubuntu as the current most popular distro.

I was unable to install Ubuntu on a Toshiba Satellite laptop, PCLOS went without a hitch, as did the printer, scanner, wireless card, and camera.

I don't engage in Holy Wars, I've used mostly Red Hat and derivatives, out of habit. The Mandriva-derived PCLOS was something I got only to test drive and, was so pleased with, I kept.

I've also learned to prefer KDE over Gnome, but that's another Holy War.

John

Mundus Vult Decipi

Thanks for the heads up. I had a Red Hat myself, version 9, then again finally found out that the CD's became bad all of a sudden. It was installing fine but then failed midway through the install process.

I no longer have the full version of RH 9, so I'm going to tackle the info qeirendre just provided see what happens.

I'll keep ya posted...

R. Corrigan Jr.

You might try a Live CD version such as Knoppix to see if it runs successfully on your hardware. If it does, then the problems are likely related to the Ubuntu installer. Knoppix is generally pretty good at probing the hardware and finding something that will work.

Knoppix and Ubuntu are both based on Debian.

I was able to Boot the PCLinuxOS straight from the CD, then when it got to windows, then I tried to install the OS onto the drive. I started it but it failed to set the bootloader. So it failed to install.....

Don't know what's wrong, it says it's compatible with 2007 machines.

I tried:

Ubuntu
Kubuntu
Red Hat
PCLinuxOS
SuSE

They all failed....

I guess I will have to wait for the next release, since my drive is sata.

R. Corrigan Jr.

I seriously doubt it's an SATA problem, I have several machines running several of the distros you mention above - running on SATA.

If you can post the exact error messages you get, we might be able to help you figure out exactly what the problem is.

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

I started it but it failed to set the bootloader. So it failed to install.....
Can you explain what "set the bootloader" means?
Where do you try to install the bootlader, MBR or a partition?
Does the installer then stop or what?

geirendre, from Windows. I booted from a live cd, then it went to windows. I saw the Set up and install icon on the Desktop to do an install straight to the HD. I just clicked that and tried 2 things, erase all partition and make a new one. That didn't work, then I used extisting partition which was starting to install, later then it failed because it gave me an error message "Failed to install bootloader". That's all it said. I can't even fathom to explain any further on that one.

Grenage, the info I gave you are all there is, besides I'm using the latest technology laptop, it says something about the video when installing ubuntu, same thing with kubuntu.

This is a major hassle to install, and Linux says it's the best OpenSource OS? lol I pretty much doubt it, I guess it's all me since I have a lack of experience and terminologies on emphasizing the basic understanding of linux. I understand it's all on how the end user uses the OS is the result. I remember installing on older machines worked fine.

Pretty clueless at the moment.....

R. Corrigan Jr.

it says something about the video when installing ubuntu

This is the problem, saying "something" doesn't really enable anyone to help you. You need to learn to note down what the errors are.

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

Well, if you read all the reviews over at you'll see that most if not all of them installed Ubuntu
whitout any problem on their test machines.
But, (yes there is a BUT ;-) ) there will always be cases
where you get into hardware issues.
You have it with XP, in Vista and also in Linux.
Personaly I have a Fujitsu/Siemens laptop that I can't get
Win2000 or 2003 running on, it only works with XP and Linux.

Have you tried searching the Ubuntu-forums for install-issues
with your type of hardware?

Grenage, I'm not an idiot, it only says Video, hence the reason why I said "Something" along the sentence. The lack of info thus gives me the lack info on here...Without the proper info for me to tweak the video then I will never know. Maybe it's no compatible, not sure.

geirendre, I will research on that...

Thanks everyone, I'm going to research on this...I can get this to work on some older laptops no problems, but it's not liking my machines thus far...

Thanks again...

R. Corrigan Jr.

I tried:

Ubuntu
Kubuntu
Red Hat
PCLinuxOS
SuSE
if you tried all these and none of them ever works, it might be your cd-rom, some low-grade cd-rom tends to burn holes on a CD when it read, thus corrupt some of the files

Not to be insulting or anything, but what I understood from one of your posts was you tried to install from the cd from windows. If that is the case, that is the problem. The live cd's and the install cd's are bootable cds. You put them in the cd drive and power the machine up. Of course you have to have the boot order set to boot from the cd before the HD.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back