Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ubuntu graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahnade

Programmer
Dec 22, 2005
US
I loaded the live CD of Ubuntu version 5.04 (I think it's hoary hedgehog) and all goes well until it tells me the graphics wont work and it runs in command line. I've tried it on two computers and it does the same thing. Is there something wrong with the settings on the computers? Am I missing something?

don't panic, I'm mostly harmless
Sarah

Which hardware?
Laptops?
Which graphic cards?

You could try
Code:
startx

which will most probably fail too.
Look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log
and ~/.xsession-errors
for some details.

Perhaps a cheat-code at boottime will help. (acpi=off nolapic often mess around)

seeking a job as java-programmer in Berlin:

I have used the Ubuntu Live Cd on 2 different computers and then installed Ubuntu on one of those computers and the graphics worked fine.
Both of the 2 computers were using older ATI AGP video cards.
Just as a statement, all of my hardware worked great except for one sound card which I didn't expect to work. I had no problems with installing and using Ubuntu immediately!

When you run startx, startkde, or startgnome, post the errors. I'm sure someone can help.

I've had a similar problem with Mandrake 9.1 after a power failure. It only boots to text mode (which is actually normal for me). I use startx to start the GUI. It fails with an X11 error. I found that if I reconfigure X, change the resolution, choose a different XFree version, etc. Then start, it works again. Then I just reconfigure it back to what I want.

I'm not sure what tools Ubuntu has for editing that file from text mode. Ubuntu is on a different drive in my pc.

Anyway, post the errors.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back