Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ubuntu Dual Boot Artifacts - Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutsh

Technical User
Mar 2, 2011
US
Long story short I ran Ubuntu as a dual boot on a Win10 box after lockdown. The employer went to AWS and Windows was glitchy (at least for me) in case you'll feel better if I justify my actions. Everything worked perfectly until said employer un-checked the "Allow Linux connections" flag in the ECS admin dashboard.

After completely removing the Ubuntu AND restoring the drive partitions back to pre-COVID condition said Win10 box won't successfully load updates. Note: That box loaded, ran and integrated updates perfectly before the dual boot, and never once succeeded in doing them again during and after the dual boot. And when I say updates, its only the cumulative updates, the non-critical stuff works perfectly, of course.

Heard this one? A pilot was on approach to Seattle airport in some pretty heavy fog, a bit lost. He saw what he thought were the tower lights so he radioed out to the controller. He asked exactly where he was, and when the tower responded "on approach to Seattle Airport at <time> on <date>". The pilot simultaneously banked hard left and replied thank you, I now know exactly what to do! He was on the ground safely in ten minutes and when asked how he knew what to do from that decidedly vague answer he replied: "Obviously that wasn't the tower but Microsoft tech support, and knowing where MS support is, I knew where the runway was."

As he turned to leave, the interviewer said "Wait!... How did you know it was Microsoft tech support?"
because, he said, "They didn't tell me one single thing I didn't already know."

ôEverybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.ö ~ Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back