Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ubuntu apt-get updates/upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animasu

Technical User
Aug 5, 2005
GB
Hi i am on Ubuntu 5.10 Breezy Badger, i am on a company network and just trying out linux for a few programs. There is a mailhost server which we connect to the internet through, and it is protected by ISA Server, I keep on trying to update the Linux Ubuntu software but i keep getting this error message

administrator@frudd-linux:~$ sudo apt-get update
Err breezy Release.gpg
Could not resolve ‘gb.archive.ubuntu.com’
Ign breezy Release
Ign breezy/universe Packages
Ign breezy/main Packages
Ign breezy/restricted Packages
Ign breezy/multiverse Packages
Err breezy/universe Packages
Err breezy/main Packages
Err breezy/restricted Packages
Err breezy/multiverse Packages
Failed to fetch Could not resolve ‘gb.archive.ubuntu.com’
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

I have tried a few things but to no joy... I was wondering if anyone knew how to sort this out?

Hope someone can help! Any and all feedback will be appreciated!

Thanks

- James

This looks like a DNS problem. Try setting the DNS options in DHCP so that you request DNS servers when you get your IP-address on the Linux box.

If the locking problems persists after you've solved the DNS problem, try CD to /var/lib/dpkg and sudo rm lock

Hope this helps

--
Roidhun

I Tried the second one you said but it didnt work, the first i was wondering how you go about doing this? i checked around through the network and internet settings but i couldnt find anything relevent, Could you shed a bit of light on this please?

Thank you!!

- James

First check /etc/resolv.conf for valid nameserver addresses. If the addresses in resolv.conf are ok and you can do 'lynx and get the site, then we have to look elsewhere.
If the addresses in resolv.conf are invalid or non-existant then 'sudo vi /etc/resolv.conf', add correct addresses in vi, ':wq' and reboot.

--
Roidhun

i did this and i couldnt use lynx due to its not installed on my system, so i did 'firefox and it seems to work ok, the update and upgrade still dont want to work though i got the message

administrator@FRUDD:~$ sudo apt-get update
Reading package lists... Done

administrator@FRUDD:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
Building dependency tree... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

administrator@FRUDD:~$ sudo apt-get install
Building dependency tree... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
administrator@FRUDD:~$

is this right?

Thank you!

- James

That is excactly right - except that the 'apt-get install' step is unneccessary - especially when there is zero packages to do something with.

What it tells you is that there are no upgrades available for any packages on your system.

If you are running gnome, you might want to look at the Synaptic package handling - makes it easier and graphical, but is dependent on a working dpkg/apt suite, which it seems at first glance that you have now.

--
Roidhun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back