Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

U KNOW IT's FRIDAY PART DEUX 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

burtsbees

Programmer
Jan 29, 2007
US
LOL! Anyone look at my switch post yet? That's all I wanted to know...

Burt

If'n it ain't broke, don't go 'n trah tuh ficks et.

[the other] Bill

Those systems came out when UNIX was UNICS!

Burt

lol..I think if I were to ask around to a few people, I could probably still locate my old TI-99. Was pretty cool, had those cartridges for programs, and would read from cassette tapes.

I wasn't good enough to have an old commodore.

I had a Timex Sinclair 1000---4KB of memory, expandable to 16K with a cartridge. The flight simulator would take 7 minutes to load, off a cassette tape. The monitor was a black and white tv, and the BASIC commands were all on the keys---one key would type out "goto", "for", "if", "and", "gosub", etc.

Burt

Those systems came out when UNIX was UNICS!" Or eunuchs.

I had one of the very early IBM PCs. Had two 5 1/4" floppies and 64k of memory! PC-DOS 1.1 and a little software. Kept me going for a long time. But its long gone.

[the other] Bill

Dalt,

LOVED playing Parsac on the old TI99, I had the cassette tape hooked up and the sound thingy but it was basicly a game station for me :)

I still remember saying things like I would NEVER need a computer!!!

I just setup an old Gateway 2000 Pentium 1 with a CRT monitor and 64 megs RAM (one of the 1st PCs I delt with here) tried loading Windows 3.11 but the floppy disk crapped out after a bit - might be the file format still on the disk - 98 I think - will format it and start again as I "play" between things I am working on at work today!

I think I still have Windows 3.11 for Workgroups at home on CD from my first PC there - it was Gateway 2000 and I got in July 1995 for about $4,000, back then the price changed so fast that Gateway sent me a check for $450 (30 day difference in price from the day I bought it) they also sent me Windows 95 CD AND the MS Office Suite CD to go with 95 because all this happened in the 30 days between the day I bought the new Gateway and 30 days later!!!!

Wanted to get this all going for a "Show and Tell" or "blast from the past" - will keep playing .......

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

For all you UNIX gurus out there, you may appreciate this...
Just spent 3 days on a Sun E4500 with an A5000 fcal hung off of it. The entire array dropped off, ended up frying the midplane with one of our I/O boards from my office...:(
Ended up replacing the 4500 chassis, two disks, and the enclosure. Bad thing is it took 15 minutes to boot the OS each time, and 5-10 minutes (diags set at min) just to get to the OBP! Had to pwr off/on about 20 times!
Another fun thing---it's running Solaris 6 (circa 1996) and Veritas Disk Manager was integrated back then, so it was vx this, vx that---all the fcal's were under Veritas control! All those parts going bad made luxadm and Veritas freak out! I did manage to get the disks that failed to start rebuilding, all the LUNs, group, pathing and whathchamacallit names (BTVol1-01, etc) presented correctly, all disks had good VTOCs...what a nightmare! In the middle of all this I remembered that I had to swap the EPROM from the old enclosure to the new one so that the WWID would be seen by Veritas (the one it knew of) so that /dev/es would all be jiving right...
Okay---done with my rant...lol

Burt

About this IOS Hunter. Is it legit? Are those actual versions of IOS?

I detected an "operational access difference" between just the bins and the full versions using the free hunter. Does the non-free hunter provide better/complete access to the full versions?

Is this a dangerous tool?

Am I making any sense at all?

Should I return to that several-years-out-of-date grape juice?

Inquiring minds want to know!

[the other] Bill

Step away from the bottle...

What you could do is capture packets with Wireshark when you do a search---then you can just ftp to those sites. That's all IOS Hunter does---looks for IOS's on anonymous ftp sites. You'd be pleasantly surprised what other stuff (pics, etc.) you may "happen upon"...lol

Burt

You're a little past my expertise. I had a look at the tool and... well, maybe I don't quite get it yet. I think I understand what I'm looking for, but can't get through the intermediate steps to get there.

Bottle? We don't need no steenkin bottles. We got boxes. ;) Anyway, that's only a weekend activity. Most of the time.

[the other] Bill

Regarding Wireshark.. there is a good intro video on irongeek.com ... Regarding IOSHunter.. all I can say is that a lot of people use it.. I would REALLY recommend that you locate and email your local CISCO SE! They could provide you with a 3 day CCO login for one or two IOSs! Lots of people in your area on this forum perhaps someone could email Bill a couple of CISCO SE addresses.

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

It's been a long time since I've looked for help on Wireshark here, but Novell's support site, used to have good TID's on using Wireshark/Ethereal. Might be another place to start looking.

Or, if you are really confused, just pop me an email. I use it all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back