Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Typical XML architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.

parbhani

Technical User
Jul 3, 2002
GB
Hi all,

I am new to XML. I would like to see an example of some XML based application.
Can you firends please explain ( or direct me to some web page ) an example of a business system ( probably messaging system ) which uses xml and answer my following queries ?

1) The purpose of the system
2) Why XML
3) What are the softwares involved
4) How the architecture operates

I have read all the theory behind XML of verious books, but want to understand the real usage and NEED of XML.

Regards

Take a look at some of the partner sites (box to the lower-left). TopXML is good.

Chip H.

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

That was great, can some body please describe me the architechture of the XML system they are working on ?

That would be a great guidance .

Regards

XML is used as a data interchange format. If you have loosely coupled parts of your application, or need to exchange data with a business partner, it's great.

If you need to pass data between tightly-coupled parts of your application, it's not so good, as it's very wordy, and loading/unloading from a DOM takes a lot of time. In this case, you'd be better off writing a class to pass data back and forth.

As to your question: please describe me the architechture of the XML system they are working on I have no idea what you're asking. Is it a general systems architecture question "Where in my system would XML be a good fit?" I would suggest you re-read my comments above. If you want to know how to use XML to write a site like theirs, that's way out of my league.

Chip H.

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

Hi there ,

Thanks a lot for the info.

What I was asking in terms architechture, was, if anybody who is working in a system using XML, what is the architechture of that system ?

E.g. Apache web server with Tomcat-JSP or Oracle XML DB etc.

What I want to learn is, in an XML application, where the data comes from ? is it the XML data comming in ? what software reads it ? or what software responds to the incomming request and stuff like that.

As I heard from somewhere that, somebody has a XML messaging application. What does that mean ??

Please try to guide.

At this point, you need to do the research. It's lazy of you to ask us to do it for you.

Hi all
I read an example of a Transport application using XML (In his situation, a user would fill in some order details and Submit to the server. The server would then convert the order detail into XML and forwards it to another server and display the info on the trucker's mobile phone as WML.

If i were to omit the XML portion and use Coldfusion and a mySQL, i can produce the same results rite~?
I mean i can just create a web interface, user enter detail, Submit and the coldfusion file will process the data, stores the information into database. All information pushing all to the trucker can be obtain from the database, its just the matter of formatting the information.

I just begin reading up on XML and tonnes of questions have been popping into my mind. Please point out if i am wrong.

Regards.

Thanks a lot.

This was excetly I was looking for.
My question was, an example of a real life XML based application.

Thanks a lot.

What Harebrain has mentioned is NOT false, but I have read at least 2 big books on XML. What I was and will be looking for, is a real-life example.

I request all the users to add to the list.

Thanks again.

Hi All,
So what is the advantage of using XML in the situation i described in the earlier msg (above)??
I have read much about the advantages of using XML.. blah blah blah.. most of them are quotation from books. Is there a real situation here? Someone had convert their own system to an XML ready system???

Regards.

Please re-read my post from Feb 10th.

XML is best used as a data interchange format between different systems, or loosely coupled parts of the same system.

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back