Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

typical speed for copying offline vm files

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaccaz

MIS
Aug 10, 2005
HK
hi all, any idea what's the typical speed for copying offline vm files from esxi4.1 host server to network share drive?

for example, esxi4.1 host server got 2 nic cards, so i directly connect esxi4.1 to a low-end NAS via cross-cable with 1Gbps speed on a dedicated nic card, & mount the NAS share drive as datastore2, then using command
cp –r /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/server1 /vmfs/volumes/datastore2/backup/
on esxi4.1 console to copy the offline vm files as backup, however the speed just about 300MB/min

from calculation it's much slower than the 1Gbps, understand that can't be fully utilized the 1Gbps speed la....

wondering how do you backup offline vm files & what's the typical speed? many thx!

That all depends on the speed of your local hard drives and the speed of your NAS. You said the magic word in your post, "low-end NAS".

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)
MCM (SQL 2008)
MVP

My Blog

not an answer to your question but when copying a vmdk file from one datastore to the other, use
vmkfstools -i /vmfs/volumes/source/source.vmdk /vmfs/volumes/destination/destination.vmdk

This work way better because it only clones the actual data used inside the VMDK not the entire vmdk file as copied using the cp command

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back