Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Type of license for Office 2010 that comes with a Dell 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
Is the Office sold with a Dell computer considered an OEM license and therefore must die with the computer?
Any way to be sure maybe by using Produkey or Magical Jelly Bean to get the Product ID

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Bummer - I was thinking that, but customer wants to re-use her license. Now I have to explain it to her.

Check the product ID. An OEM Product ID will include the letters 'OEM'. OEM versions can only be transferred with the hardware. Otherwise, check the licence terms, which you can find via File|Help>Microsoft License Terms.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

I'm pretty sure it's OEM, but I can run Produkey and/or check like you mentioned. Thanks.

I guess there's always OpenOffice or LibreOffice...

Dik

I'm not sure why anyone would want to use OpenOffice these days in comparison to LibreOffice. Since being given to the Apache Foundation, development of OpenOffice has slowed to a crawl with only 1 incremental point update - a maintenance release from 4.1.3 to 4.1.4 - released in the last 2 years.

Parts of its website hasn't been updated for years:
[URL unfurl="true" said:
https://www.openoffice.org/why/why_easy.html[/URL]]For people used to other office software, Apache OpenOffice is a pleasant surprise. It's so straightforward! Studies have proved it is easier (and cheaper) to move to OpenOffice from Microsoft Office than it is to upgrade to Microsoft's Office 2007.

... and the newest 'What's New' entry in the Documentation area of its Wiki is dated November 2013.

It was only a year ago that its Vice President was publicly commenting about how OpenOffice could be closed completely. (What Would OpenOffice Retirement Involve? - 01 Sep 2016)

By comparison, LibreOffice features regular (often monthly) updates to the 'Fresh' (i.e. bugfix) version and regular updates (between every 4-8 months) to the 'Still' (i.e. stable) version recommended for enterprises.

Another factor is the number of supported formats. For example, just looking at document formats (i.e, not spreadsheet, presentation or database), OpenOffice 4.1.2 supported 18 types. By comparison, LibreOffice 5.06 supported 58 types including Apple Pages, Microsoft Works, Lotus, Portable Document Format (PDF) and WordPerfect (plus ebook) documents.

Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2
Code:
ODF Text Document (*.odt)
ODF Text Document Template (*.ott)
OpenOffice.org XML 1.0 Text Document (*.sxw)
OpenOffice.org XML 1.0 Text Document Template (*.stw)
Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP (*.doc)
Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP Template (*.dot)
Microsoft Word 6.0 / 95 (*.doc)
Microsoft Word 95 Template (*.dot)
Rich Text Format (*.rtf)
Text (*.txt)
Text Encoded (*.txt)
HTML Document (OpenOffice Writer) (*.html;*.htm)
Microsoft WinWord 5 (*.doc)
Microsoft Word 2003 XML (*.xml)
Microsoft Word 2007 XML (*.docx;*.docm)
Microsoft Word 2007 XML Template (*.dotx;*.dotm)
Uniform Office Format 2 Text (*.uot)
T602 Document (*.602;*.txt)

LibreOffice 5.06
Code:
ODF Text Document (*.odt)
ODF Text Document Template C.ott)
OpenOffice.org 1.0 Text Document (*.sxw)
OpenOffice.org 1.0 Text Document Template (*.stw)
Flat XML ODF Text Document (*.fodt; *.odt'; *.xml)
Microsoft Word 2007-2013 XML (*.docx; *.docm)
Microsoft Word 2007-2013 XML Template (*.dotx; *.dotm)
Microsoft Word 97-2003 (*.doc)
Microsoft Word 97-2003 Template (*.dot)
Microsoft Word 6.0/95 (*.doc)
Microsoft Word 95 Template (*.dot)
Microsoft WinWord 1/2/5 (*.doc)
Microsoft Works Document (*.wps)
Hangul WP 97 (*.hwp)
HTML Document (Writer) (*.html;*.htm)
Lotus WordPro Document (*.lwp)
Rich Text (*.rtf)
T602 Document (*.602;*.txt)
Text (*.txt)
Text - Choose Encoding (*.txt)
WordPerfect Document *.wpd)
Office Open XML Text (*.docx; *.docm)
Office Open XML Text Template (*.dotx; *.dotm)
AbiWord Document (*.abw; *.zabw)
Apple Pages 4 (*.pages)
8eagIeWorks/WordPerfect Works v1 Text Document (*.dummy)
BroadBand eBook (*.lrf)
ClarisWorks/AppleWorks Text Document (*.cwk)
DOC Maker (v4) Document (*.hqx; *.zip)
FictionBook 2.0 (*.fb2; *.zip)
FullWrite Professional Document (*.dummy)
GreatWorks Text Document (*.dummy)
HanMac Word ) Document (*.dummy)
HanMac Wotd-K Document (*.dummy)
LightWayText for Mac v4.5 (*.hqx; *.zip)
MacDoc v1 Document (*.hqx; *.zip)
MacWrite Document (*.mw; *.mcw)
MacWriteD or MacWritePro Document (*.rmv; *.mcv.)
Acta Mac Classic Document (*.dummy)
More Mac v2-3 Document [*.dummy)
RagTime Mac v2-3 Document (*.dummy)
Microsoft Word for Mac (v1 - v5) (*.doc)
Microsoft Works for Mac Text Document (v1 - v4) (*.wvps)
Mariner Write Mac Classic v1.6 - v3.5 (*.mwd)
MindWrite Document (*.dummy)
Nisus Writer Mac Classic v34 - 6.5 (*.hqx; *.zip)
PalmDoc eBook (*.pdb)
Plucker eBook (*.pdb)
TeachText/SimpleText v1 Document (*.hqx; *.zip)
TealDoc eBook (*.pdb)
Tex-Edit v2 Document (*.hqx; *.zip)
WriteNow Document (*.wn; *.nx^d)
WriterPlus Document (*.dummy)
Z-Write 1.3 Document (*.hqx; *.zip)
eDOC (v2) Document (*.hqx; *.zip)
eReader eBook (*.pdb)
PDF - Portable Document Format (Writer) (*.pdf)
zTXT eBook (*.pdb)

FYI, if you haven't run into it yet, for Office 2013/2016, Microsoft seems to handle licensing differently now that the software seems to always be connected to an account rather than just the Product ID. In some ways, it's easier. We had a system crash with Office 2016, and we replaced the system under warranty. It's technically a different computer, but the license was still transferrable. I got the transfer completed directly with Microsoft.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

And thanks for the detailed writeup comparing OpenOffice and LibreOffice. I'd be suggesting Libre ever since it forked off, personally, but it's good to see some of the differences in one place.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

My customer questioning the transferability of Office has Office 2010, so it's not the "newfangled" subscription versions from Microsoft. So, she's out of luck. And you're getting a warning for telling everyone to fork off.

You can still get Office as a non-subscription purchase. That's Office 2016, not Office 365.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

I know, it's just about the money!!!!!!!!

> You can still get Office as a non-subscription purchase. That's Office 2016, not Office 365.

Yes, you can, and you get stand-alone software that is installed, and runs, locally. However, the software is not in the box: you must create (if you don't have one) a Microsoft account to be able to download it, and having done that, the licence is attached to that account and the software can be downloaded as often as you like (I believe) and installed on whatever computer you like, always subject to the usage terms of the licence. This is the modern equivalent to what used to be normal. I don't know if OEM versions are even available any more or how their attachment to hardware might be managed.

Enjoy,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.

I'm working (slowly) on my own website

I still like the little CD case with my install disc and COA on the case. Very simple, no need for MS account.
But time leaves everything behind.

Where do you find one with an actual disk? LOL I've only seen an empty box that comes in or else envelope. They've pretty much neutered all the physical pieces. All we seem to have left is a booklet that contains the initial Product Key or else basically a slip of paper with the Key.

I have a lovely USB memory stick from Microsoft with Office 2016 on it ...

Office 2003???

Depends. These days with Office 365, so long as you're logged into only one account at a time you can use is on anything. You are of course instead than paying a monthly subscription.

Best Regards,
Scott
MIET, MASHRAE, CDCP, CDCS, CDCE, CTDC, CTIA, ATS

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, and no simpler."[hammer]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back