Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Type anomaly on screen when text condensed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doogz

Technical User
Jan 20, 2004
AU
Q6, 10.2.3 at 100% view, characters in a text box appear to decrease in point size when horizontally scaled/condensed, however when viewed at thumbnail or around 40-45% view the characters are not distorted and appear at their actual point size. Also the baseline of those characters appears to shift? Characters print out in their correct position, but you can only get the layout right when working at 40 to 45% view. Frustrating!

This may have nothing to do with it but it is a good first step... Update to the current version of the operating system. It is currently at 10.2.8 and the updates are free.

Does this happen with another font?

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

A friend of mine on 10.2.8 and QXP6 has the same problem. He thought something was wrong with his printer, but it's actually that Quark isn't showing the font size/position properly. It shows the font at 100% h/v instead of whatever it was changed to, which is why the baseline appears to shift. It is definitely frustrating... He hasn't found any solution yet. I haven't noticed it myself, but I never change the h/v scale. Perhaps it'll be fixed in the Quark update. I've heard an early Feb release from a Quark tech but we'll see...

Another problem we have encountered, running the same system:
Certain fonts, and I haven't had the chance to identify any similarities, when enlarged to, say 190pt, the baseline gets all squiggly. When my friend first showed me, I thought he had done it on purpose. I haven't tried printing it, but I imagine it prints correctly like in Doogz's case with the h/v scale.

Any ideas??

Thanks for the reply guys. The system fonts aren't affected, only those loaded by suitcase - I have the latest version. I've upgraded to 10.2.8 and the problem remains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back