Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Type 2 error when I open up word and excel it will not let me 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
When I attempt to open up word or excel on my mac, I get a Type 2 error message and nothing will open. What can I do??

Are you running the latist patches from Microsoft. Delete the word preferences! If you can't fix it in 20 call someone who can.

Ok. Tried all of the above with no luck - not even the exclusion of the SR1.

Did find a "last resort" solution that works - so i might aswell share it.

Seeing that my problems were mostly when trying to open documents received from others through mail etc. I have come to think that the following could be a problem:

Others might have custom dictionaries including words that my locally stored spell checker doesn't have stored - so when i open the document with my local word version it crashes with a type 2 error because of the missing words in the dictionary. This is a stupid MS error though im not sure this is the case - maybe somone can think it through.

Anyway the solution i found was removing the "proofing tools" folder from the microsoft office 2001/shared applications folder. Throwing this folder at the desktop solved all my problems - though now i don't have spell check. But as this problem mainly is related to other peoples documents this isn't a problem. - I can throw it back in when editing my own documents.

/Malissin

I have the same problem as "visitor". Error type 2 when I copy/paste in word 98. Everything was running fine until I installed Quark Xpress version 5.0. I have ditched the prefs and reallocated the memory. I cannot throw away my proofing tools as I need my speller etc.

Hi I'm getting type 2 errors with Word, Explorer, Excel. I was getting the errors only when I was shutting down, but now they are occurring when I cut & paste between applications. I also got one when I was adding something to the scrapbook of my browser.

Wuzzup?

I don't know which of the solutions above I should try.

Thanks in advance Mac gurus.

I'm getting type 3 error messages when I open MS Word and Powerpoint, on my Mac B/W G3. If I restart the machine, I can open those two programs for about the next 30 minutes or so, then I get the same problem if I relaunch the app or open a new document. I've allocated 20 megs RAM to MS Word. Tried deleting the prefs. Didn't help. Do I really want to delete the MS extensions in the sytem folder? Don't you mean prefs?

Which fonts do you have open? If you can't fix it in 20 minutes call someone who can.

Are you run the updates for this version on Office? If you can't fix it in 20 minutes call someone who can.

I had this problem trying to install and run Office 2001 in 9.2.3 classic mode on my G4 Powerbook before my version of Office v. X arrived in the mail. I was never able to resolve it; even after several hours on the phone with the MS support personnel

However, Microsoft has posted an article on its support knowledge server, Item No. Q302761, that addresses this problem and may be the answer.

TYPE 2 THIS!
So from the kingpins themselves come the "answers" - straight from the Microsoft support site....
Article is Q272766 (just in case the link doesn't work).
You will find it generally here:
but directly here:

Damaged Settings File and test System are pretty interesting sections.

The article is too lengthy for posting here.

CORRUPT FONT
This might work. Programs would quit on me with a type 2 error message as well. Turned out to be a corrupt font. With only the system active, I moved groups of fonts out of the system font folder into a temp folder. The group of fonts that contained the corrupt font would not let me move them with the message "the font suitcase ____ could not be moved because it is damaged" so I was able to narrow it down to the one corrupt font. When I selected the specific font the same message appeared. Reboot from an alternate boot disk and remove the font.

I'm seeing lots of references to type 2 error but not my specific problem...anyone got any input on this? Until a couple of days ago, my Outlook Express was working just fine...all of a sudden, when I try to check email it quits everytime with a type 2 error...I'm not having problems with any other Microsoft programs. What's the best way to fix this one?

Any ideas anyone? You'd help a most frustrated person...

I would delete the Outlook prefs file! Warning if you do this you delete the Accounts that have been setup inside, not sure about folders. But you should then be able to open Outlook.

Have you installed an thing lately? If you can't fix it in 20 minutes call someone who can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back