Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Type 2 error when I open up word and excel it will not let me 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
When I attempt to open up word or excel on my mac, I get a Type 2 error message and nothing will open. What can I do??

Type 1, 2 , or 3 errors refer to memory issues.

If simply restarting the machine doesn't help your cause, I would allocate additional memory to the applications that are giving you trouble - Word and Excel in this case.

Once navigated to the folder containing the app, select the app icon and do an Open Apple-I or Get Info from the FILE MENU ....

... then increase the Memory's Prefered Size.

See if that doesn't cure the ill.

Another quick healer for Microsoft applications problems is to remove and trash the microsoft extensions from the system extensions folder and let them be replaced by your software when it launches. You must have Office 98 or better for that to work. ...............................
Thanks, Gary

I am having this problem now. I have tried the two suggestions thus far offered. Has anybody ever seen this problem resolved? Word has worked for me no problem for months. Now today it "quit unexpectedly" due to "an error of type 2" every time after about 4 seconds.

I recently experienced this on some machines - they had a new variation of an old virus (WdefB I think). Fairly easy to check it out. NAV cured my MS woes.

If you are using OS 9, there was an update for Microsoft Office for Macintosh that eliminated problems such as you are experiencing.

but check virus 1st >:-< So long and thanks for all the fish.

Suffered continual type 2 errors with Word 98. The tip of trashing extensions and letting them auto update is the only thing that has worked. Super thanks! :)

Delete the word and excel pref's file in the system folder\preferences. If you can't fix it in 20 call someone who can.

I know that problems with memory related errors in Microsoft word 98 are alleviated by removing the automatic orthographic control.
Also reported that MSOffice 98 has problems with some newer Epson printers... In this latest case, nope to make it work :-(

I had the Type 2 error problem with table files in MS Word 2001 - crashed Word as soon as opened after a certain level of complication was introduced.

First I was using split cells. I gave that up and tried merged cells. I gave that up and just had a regular table with alternate rows shaded and still kept getting that Type 2 error. I tried using a different computer and had the same problem. Clearly Word 2001 has problems with tables.

I tried everything suggested here and the only thing that worked was opening the file in Word '98.

elinJp run the service pack for Office 2000!!!!!!!!!!!! If you can't fix it in 20 call someone who can.

same prob mate..........still tryen to work it out too.
Was working fine then......Type 2 Error.
Tried all the above suggestions but no luck as yet.

Do you have a lot of fonts open, or in the system folder Just serchen? If you can't fix it in 20 call someone who can.

I've got an error type 2 only when I open Word

I've tried all things that are stated above, but nothing helps. i'm running mac OS 9.2.2 with Office 2001 and with service release 1 installed.

I had the same problem after I installed service release 1 on my mac OS 8.6, I hoped that under Mac Os 9.X the problem would be solved, but no...... please help

Well, I've un-installed Office 2001, installed it again, but I didn't install the servicepack and everything is ok now.
Have to do my hotmail with Outlook Express, but hey, I can open my documents again. Thank you Microsoft for Service Pack release 1...........

I started getting an error type 11 when starting Word 98 just after I upgraded to MS Outlook 5 and MSIE 5.1. For a while it looked like some extension was getting overwritten by both OE and Word (I'd get one working, attempt to start the other and it would begin installing items). Each program was installing extension(s) that were problematic for the other, and if one worked the other would not. Also, PageMaker stopped working at this point as well. It was a bad scene... Here I thought It'd be cool to upgrade my internet apps. I still haven't recovered. Anyone know what ext. may be causing a problem?

I had a user experiencing Type 2 errors when printing in Microsoft Office 98. Deleting all Microsoft extensions and letting Office recreate them solved the problem. (Imac running OS9.2).

Cut or copy causes a type 2 error in word 98.

Anyone know what may be going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back