Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TXT CREATION FROM DTS SUCCESFULLY DONE 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

emoongq

IS-IT--Management
Jun 3, 2004
MX
I'm creating 5 txt files with DTS getting info from SQL tables, now I need to create a 6th file (log) validating that the first 5 files are well done, but can't imagine if ther is a way, hope my explanation is ok.

If the standard logging available in DTS does not work for you, then you could create a text file before your package starts (all this would be using ActiveX script task).

Then, after each export completes, use ActiveX to check for the created file's existence, and whatever else you need to check to ensure that the job is done well. You can then write a message to your log file stating if the file was successfully created or not (and why if you are feeling brave).

Hope this helps,

Alex

Ignorance of certain subjects is a great part of wisdom

I don't know how does the standard loggin works, I didn't even know about it. Please give me an idea Alex.

Tks

Check out this forum, it is dedicated to DTS: forum961.

Here is a useful website:
I am afraid that I don't have time at the moment to walk you through setting up your package. Are you familiar with use of the ActiveX script task?

If you tell me exactly what this log should include, I can try to give you an idea on how to create it. Are you only going to be checking for the file's existence (ie not performing any sort of internal validation)?

Hope this helps,

Alex

Tks Alex, I'm not a programmer, I just made some SQL queries, this file I need is a five field file.

Export date; Export time; filename; count; balance.

I just need to put the information about 5 other previous created files. Exportation date & time, the name of the file (static field) count of registries and balance but I can leave this last in blank.

Tks a lot

emoongq -

Here is a link to a site that shows how to check if a file exists before importing it.

You can place a task like this after your export steps to see if the file exists, and can probably create a file object (something like

dim myObject
set myObject = fso.getfile(myFileName)

) in order to get the other properties of the file once you have confirmed its' existence.

Hope this helps,

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back