Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two wireless routers - same SSID or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
A customer wants to, in effect, daisy chain two wireless routers and have two different wireless sources in the house due to poor reception with just the one in the basement.

I know how to make it work technically (use one router in GATEWAY mode and connect to 2nd router via ethernet to ethernet p0orts and put the 2nd router in Access Point/Router mode, disable DHCP, have static IP address).

Here's the question. I see some sites that say to keep the same SSID (for roaming), while others say to make them different so you can be sure you're connecting to the stronger signal. If they were named the same, you could be connected to the weaker router and you wouldn't know it because the names are the same. What say you??

SSID: same on both routers
SSID broadcast: enabled on both
Encryption method: same on both
Encryption key: same on both
Channel: different on each router

VS

SSID: different name on each router
SSID broadcast: enabled on both
Encryption method: same on both
Encryption key: same on both
Channel: different on each router

In my office, I use the same SSID on two different WAPs, basically the same as your first scenario, except I left the channels the same (maybe I should rethink that). The PCs lock onto the stronger one without fail. They are all WinXP workstations using the Windows wireless utility. When I look in the config window, I see both WAPs, but the PC uses the stronger one by default.

I have my server doing DHCP, but if you were using the routers with DHCP enabled, I would make sure the subnets were different so the PC's IP address would tell you which router you are connected to in case that doesn't happen with your situation. DHCP conflicts can be a bear. I changed the default login address on each of my WAPs (wrote it on the WAP and made a DHCP reservation for each on the server) so I can login to the different WAPs' admin page even though they're using the same subnet. Good luck.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Yeah - you should change the channels. It's like a wireless fist fight.

I WOULD want them on the SAME network since they are part of the same network and there are IP printers involved, so only one DHCP server for sure. I wasn't debating that part of it - just one SSID or two.

You said you see both SSIDs listed separately even though they have the same name??? I thought that wouldn't happen from what I read. I guess I'll have to just play with it when I get there.

Well...I'm running on memory fumes right now, as I switched to a single, more powerful centrally located WAP a couple of years ago. I do remember both WAPs being visible in something, it may have been the D-Link utility.

As for DHCP, if the ISP provides a router integrated with the modem, use that. Then you still need to reconfigure the new wireless routers' IP addresses for administration and write it on the unit.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Put them on the same SSID with the same security settings, but set each AP to separate, non-overlapping channels (1, 6, and 11). Channels are designed to enable roaming while ensuring that you connect to the strongest channel. SSIDs are used to separate different networks.

MCTS:System Center Virtual Machine Manager
MCTS:Windows Server 2008 R2, Server Virtualization
MCSE:Security 2003
MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

Plus, as mentioned above somewhat, even if you were to use different SSIDs, but they were on the same channel, things could get confusing fast.

At the hotels where I have installed wireless, I may have 20 different AP's, all broadcasting the same SSID and working off of one DHCP server, but I spread the channels out for as little overlap as possible.

The outcome? I can walk with my laptop from one end of the hotel to the other watching YouTube or listening to streaming radio without a dropout.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Yeah - I KNOW about making different channels and keep the same secuirty. I know all that. I just read one tech document that said the clients don't always switch over (they are STICKY) to the strongest access point if all the SSIDs and security are the same.

I've never had any issues with it. If you are associated with an AP and using SSID "MyWAP", then it should always switch to the strongest signal that is broadcasting "MyWAP." Not to say that there isn't a bug in someone's drivers or WAP software, but I've never seen issues with sticking to APs.

The problem of using separate SSIDs is that you can't roam. If you are connected to WAP #1 using the SSID "MyWAP#1", and then move down the hall you are guaranteed to continue to be connected to (or try to connect to) "MyWAP#1", no matter how weak the signal is, until either:

a) you can no longer receive the RF signal to communicate with the AP broadcasting "MyWAP#1", or

b) you manually disassociate from "MyWAP#1" and choose to connect to "MyWAP#2".

MCTS:System Center Virtual Machine Manager
MCTS:Windows Server 2008 R2, Server Virtualization
MCSE:Security 2003
MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

Ok, I'll give it a try with the same SSID. The real issue is that the wireless router in the basement is not even needed because people upstairs, until now, use hard wired connections. I could effectively turn OFF the wireless downstairs if I have a 2nd router upstairs.

I may just do that and then all this discussion would be moot. But if I leave the two of them, I'll use the same SSID, same security with different channels.

Another thought...powerline networking has come into its own lately and has better throughput than wireless, and is more secure.

Tony

Users helping Users...

It strikes me as being a non-traditional, no my type of technical solution. I guess it depends on what the customer wants to spend in terms of making things work: run wired outlets and use cables, get a second router and have it function as an access point upstairs or try that electrocution/networking all-in-one setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back