Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two Windows 2000 Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevieh

IS-IT--Management
Sep 10, 2001
GB
Is it possible to have one Server act as the DHCP & DNS and another as the Domain control using Active Dir.

This is the problem I am facing as I need to try and bring two servers together into one network and it would be useful to keep my existing Domain controller with all its users and just use the DHCP & DNS from another server already configured Server.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Stevieh

How are you currently handling DNS? You must already have a DNS server since AD has to have it to be installed.

...go to the DNS of the AD computer and forward DNS queries to your DNS computer. Remove DHCP service from the server that shouldn't have it and install it on the one that should (DHCP is independent of AD)...

This may work, as the only reason I use DNS on the AD server is to allow the XP clients to logon to the domain, without DNS the XP workstations take ages to logon.

How do I configure the servers up they are both currently configured as the only server on their respective networks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back