Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two users with one e-mail address

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoemp

Programmer
Sep 25, 2002
BE
Hi

I'm almost ready to go 'live' with our new Exchange server (as a part of Windows 2003 SBE). I still have one issue to solve and that's the following:

I have two users who follow the same e-mail address (e.g. sales@mydomain.com). I'm trying to create the most effective situation here. How can I create this e-mail address so that both users get e-mails from this address in their mailboxes?

Thanks

Steven

Only one mailbox can have a particular SMTP address attached to it.

Easiest and quickest way is to create a shared mailbox and give these two users rights to it, then add this mailbox to their profiles.

Great idea! I will try this. Thanks for the quick reply.

Steven

Another great idea... This will be a tough one to decide. Thank you guys!

In every case where I've had to provide this kind of service (too many to count)- I always give both (or however many there are) users rights to that mailbox and then add it to their Outlook profile. Simple, easy and quick to set up.

JB

"He who laughs last probably made a backup. He who laughs loudest probably hasn't checked his backups in a while."

How can I make a public folder with an email addressed assigned to it? Can it automatically accept meeting requests and assign the time-slot? Trying to do this for conference room calendars...

Thanks!

Open the Properties for the Public Folder via “Exchange System Manager” and select the Email Addresses tab.

"He who laughs last probably made a backup. He who laughs loudest probably hasn't checked his backups in a while."

Thanks... Can it automatically accept meeting requests and assign the time-slot? Trying to do this for conference room calendars...

Thanks!

I'll have to look into that - I haven't used them in that way before so I'm not quite sure.

JB

BTW, I tried what you said to do:
"Open the Properties for the Public Folder via “Exchange System Manager” and select the Email Addresses tab."
Didnt see any tab for that.

You might need to create an email address for the folder when you create it - so being that there isn;t one now - you should be able to right-click the folder and select "Exchange Tasks" and then select "Create Mailbox" etc...

I had to right click the public folder... go to all tasks... add ENABLE MAIL to get the email addresses tab with a few other tabs...

For conference rooms, the whole SP on creating them was written up as an FAQ in the Exchange 5.5 forum many moons ago but is still applicable though some of the tabs may have moved or changed names slightly.

Another possible solution is to create a group with that address as it's SMTP address. That allows you to add and remove recipients without changing their outlook profiles.

The down side is that they would need to communicate to each other to know if they have replied to the sender or not.

I'd go with the public folder approach personally.
Dan

I have had some luck with using a distribution group for this sort of thing. Assign your two users to the group and give each of them send as permissions to it. They just have to remember to change the from address when they want to send mail with the sales address

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back