Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two tables, label to show if both are the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

mflower

MIS
May 6, 2001
NZ
Does anyone know if I have two tables, table A and table B and I want label X to show (visible on form) if the ID on table A.ID = table B.ID
Thanks.

I'm assuming that both TableA.ID and TableB.ID are shown on your form.
If that is the case, add this code to the After Update event for both TableA.ID and TableB.ID fields:
[tt]
If (Me![TableAID]=Me![TableBID]) Then
Me![LabelName].Caption= "TrueText"
Else
Me![LabelName].Caption= "FalseText"
End If
[/tt]

You may also want to put the code in the On Current event for the form. That way it will evaluated when you open the form or change records.

Obviously, you now have the code in three places, which suggests using a Private Sub in your form module and calling that sub from each event. Jonathan

Thanks for that Jonathan. However, only Table A is on the form, Table B is not. Therefore, I must write a module that references Table B? Am I right? Where would you suggest I find more information on modules? Or more on VBA for that matter...thanks.

mflower

OK, so Table B has a bunch of records in it, right? Each record has a unique ID associated with it. Is there another field that ties the two records together? Otherwise, how do you know which ID in table B to compare with the ID for the Table A record that is displayed by your form? Jonathan

You're correct, it's the ID that ties both the tables together. However, do u mean show Table B in the form as well? Then write a sub that checks whether the ID for Table A and Table B match? If they match, label shows "TrueText", if no match, then label shows "FalseText"
Thanks.. Is this the best way? What I was asking earlier is do we create a module that checks for these? If we do, where can I find an example of code?

You totally lost me. If the ID # is the linking field (in other words, Record A is linked to Record B if and only if ID for Record A = ID for record B) then of course TableA.ID = TableB.ID. Can you give me the complete structure of table A and table B so I can understand what you're trying to do?

Maybe you're trying to find the record in Table B for which the ID is equal to the record in Table A that is displayed in your form. That's different from what you asked, but I'm really confused. I think the structures of the two tables will be helpful. Jonathan

Thanks for the reply Jonathan.
Here's more notes:
Table A has ID and Name
Table B has ID and Name
LabelC is the label to show if "truetext"

Table B is a linked table from another database

I need explanation from scratch actually, which controls to drop on the form, writing the code and making LabelC show if the TableA.ID = TableB.ID
If anyone knows of a microsoft knowledge base article or another article posted before on this topic, please let me know. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back