Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

two quick questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DANNO421

Technical User
Jul 2, 2001
CA
Ok, my first question is about when i restart my computer. A little pop-up comes on that says something about a network, then asks me to enter a username and a password. I don't know why this just started coming up within the last two weeks? We only have one computer in our household so i don't understand the network thing? If you could help with that not coming up that would be great.

My second question has to do with viewing pictures. Previously in my folders, clicking once on a picture file (gif, jpg, etc...) would preview it on the left side of the open folder. But now all of a sudden it doesn't preview it anymore, thus making it harder to know what i'm looking at without opening it fully. I use Paint Shop Pro 7 if that is any help in helping me get back my preview.

Thanks in advance for any help.

ummm. I don't remember if Windows 98 did this but here is my suggestion:
GO into folder where pictures are.
Right click and pick Customize this folder . . .
Then hit NEXT
Choose Image Preview
And that should do it (I HOPE)

As for the other Q, I have no idea what's happening. Probably some network program you got or something.B-(

"If you can't beat them, have somebody else do it for you."

um? where you said go to customize this folder, the options are: create or edit an html document, choose a background picture, and remove customization?

Does this popup come up just as the desktop background has loaded and before the icons appear? If so it is the standard Windows networking logon. Have you changed the dialup or modem settings recently? If this isn't relevent, please post details of any text on the popup window and when exactly it appears and we will see what we can do.

just say create or edit an html document.
the next page should ask you
Current
Standard
Classic
SImple
Image Preview

Pick Image Preview(if this option exists in 98) and FINISH

Depending on what exactly the pop-up message is, you may be able to get around it by hitting 'run', typing 'msconfig' and o.k.ing it and going to the 'system.ini' tab at the top and un-ticking the box beside 'password lists'. Next time you boot, if a box comes up, just o.k. it without typing anything and that should be the last you see of it ....unless it is a network thing...in which case this won't work. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my knowledge. Andy.

The pop-up comes up right after the background on my desktop loads. At the top of the pop-up box it says "Enter Network Password." Then under that it says username:, and password:.

Also nothing seems to be helping with the preview of the picture files.

Thanks for the help so far though

I can't say exactly what happened without seeing your system. It sounds like someone intentionally or inadvertently set up some kind of network protocol.
Go to Control Panel-Network and under Primary Network Logon select Microsoft Family Logon. Under "The following network components are installed:" you should have Microsoft Family Logon, Dial-Up Adapter, and TCP/IP. These are the only settings you need unless you have a laplink or cable modem.
If you don't want different User Profiles go to Control Panel-Users and delete any user profiles that may have been set up. If you don't want different User Profiles or all users want to use the same settings go to Control Panel-Passwords-User Profiles tab and select the "All users of this computer use the same preferences and desktop settings" radio button.
If you want to see the preview of picture files in a particular folder open the folder and right click in a blank section. Select View-as Web Page. You should now have the preview when you click on a picture file.
If you want all folders to look like the one you just set. On the menu bar choose View-Folder Options...-View tab and click the Like Current Folder button.
This should get you back to where you want to be.
Let me know how you make out.
Hope this helps. Good luck.
John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back