Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two programs simulatenously access file on local share locks TS server

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinedog

MIS
Feb 24, 2004
US
Found what is most likely a defect in Windows 2003's redirector.

If two programs that use GetPrivateProfileString or WritePrivateProfileString try to access the same file (INI file in this case) on a local share from the same server you are logged in to, it will totally lock up the server. It doesn't lock up instantly, rather the user who creates the deadlock condition will not be able to continue working in the program. If you reset that user, it doesn't actually relinquish the file even though it no longer shows as open, as you can see by logging back in as that user and attempting to access either program again which seems opens up another handle in addition to the first two which magically reappear in open files (now three deadlocked processes).

Now the server is toast as the other users working in the background continued to work and apparently eat up something as eventually all sessions (even the console) will become non-responsive to input. Not that I am not talking about "Not Responding", they just no longer function, even though Windows can be moved, resized, etc. At this point you have to perform a hard reset (hold power for 4 secs or pull the plug).

I can readily recreate this any time I want using the simplest of hand-crafted programs. The reason I post here is to see if someone, say perhaps someone with access to Microsoft's Premier support web site, might know if this is a known issue and if there is a hotfix already for this. I am already on hold with Microsoft support (1+ hr now) and it would be nice to say "I am having the problem described in KB #XXXXXX".

Thanks.

I wish I had an answer for you. We are having a similar problem. We have a Proliant ml330 running sbs 2003 standard. There is a Clarion applcation that just freezes up the server. The KB and Mouse cease to function and we need to do a hard reset. We replaced the server and still have the same issue. There are no entries in the event viewer, the box just hangs and it is done. If you get any info it would be appriciated.
thanks

Oplocks are implemented in the SMB stack, not the ntfs file system. I take it you're using a "local share" to force the connection through the redirector so you can gain the oplock functionality. I don't have access to the premier knowledgebase, nor do I have access to interal data, however I'm not sure it's supposed to work that way. Even if it did, the redirectors past has been riddled with oplock issues. Case in point:

For an explaination of oplocks:

Then again, do the GetPrivateProfileString and WritePriveateProfileString even support oplocks, or do the assume a local drive? I, for one, would be interested in knowing what Microsoft has to say about all this.

Looks like this is corrected under the guise of hotfix 832971. Although the symptoms are similar, the article is not nearly detailed enough to explain the exact circumstances behind the cause of the issue. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back