Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two problems: pagefile.sys missing, and Internet browsing slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

zephyran

Technical User
Nov 30, 2001
US
I have a Windows 2000 Pro SP2 PC, connected to the Internet with RoadRunner and running ZoneAlarm Pro firewall.

Recently, browsing the Internet has become extremely slow. I have checked with RoadRunner, and we determined that it was not in their system, but must be in my computer. Chat programs seem to work at their normal speed, but Internet browsing sometimes slows to a crawl.

About the same time the Internet slowed down, I started getting the "Page File too small or no page file" alert every time I restarted. It seems that the pagefile.sys file is getting deleted every time the machine restarts. I re-create it every time, and it gets deleted again when the machine restarts.

Could these problems be connected, and what could have caused them? Does anyone have any ideas how it can be fixed? Thanks!

I had the same problem on my win 2k machine. I found out it was my ram that was going bad. It started out happening at random then it started happeing more often. Try changing your ram and see if it helps. I had some extra ram sitting around so i changed it out and it solved my problem. Then i put the old ram in another computer and started getting the same errors. Good Luck. I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back