Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two or more files of the same file-type open simultaneously

Status
Not open for further replies.

metmanners

Technical User
Mar 10, 2008
I can have several Excel or several Word files active on the task-bar/jump-list but, if I click on a file from the jump list, it overwites any file of the same type that is on the screen (restored or maximized). Same thing if I open a file from Windows Explorer (Win 7 filing sytem -- not the
If I close or minimize the most recent file, the previous file appears.

How to open, maximise, or restore an additional file and keep the curent or previous file asccessible for comparing/transferring data/text?

metman

Can you not Alt + Tab between them?

"You don't know what you got, till its gone..
80's hair band Cinderella or ode to data backups???

These notes refer to 2007, see if there is anything useful in them.

Why can't I view Office 2007 Excel documents separately in Windows 7 RTM? They are the same entity and I can only switch between them instead of putting them side-by-side, as I could do in XP, Vista, and 7 RC.__

On the View tab of Excel, does the "Arrange All" offer you an option?

"You can quickly compare two worksheets (worksheet: The primary document that you use in Excel to store and work with data. Also called a spreadsheet. A worksheet consists of cells that are organized into columns and rows; a worksheet is always stored in a workbook.) in the same workbook or in different workbooks by viewing them side by side. You can also arrange multiple worksheets to view them all at the same time."

View two or more worksheets at the same time

Do you have the option "Windows of active workbook" ticked? That would limit you to just one Spreadsheet at a time.

For what it was worth, I was able to see two Excel Spreadsheets side by side on this version of Windows 7 Ultimate RTM, by using the above settings. All that means is it works for me, it might not help you, but I hope it does.

Do you have two or more Xlsx Buttons on the Taskbar? If you right-click on a blank part of the Taskbar and select "Show windows side by side" does that do anything, it doesn't for my Spreadsheet view?

See the first link, make sure you read all the comments lower down in that page too.

How to Open Two Excel Files Side by Side in Separate Monitors?

how to open excel sheet in new window?

DrB0b (IS/IT--Management) said:
Can you not Alt + Tab between them?
This does the same thing, i.e., brings up one or the other.
linney (TechnicalUser) said:
These notes refer to 2007, see if there is anything useful in them.
Why can't I view Office 2007 Excel documents separately in Windows 7 RTM? They are the same entity and I can only switch between them instead of putting them side-by-side, as I could do in XP, Vista, and 7 RC.__
This link gives:

On the View tab of Excel, does the "Arrange All" offer you an option?

This works but not how I would expect for Office 2010 under OS Win 7. The “arrange all” gives two windows inside of an Excell overall window. But then you, linney, did say “Office 2007.”

So NOW it dawns on me -- I was not specific enough in my original question because I get Operating System (OS) and Office “software” confused.

We have Office 2010 working under Win 7. I thought it appropriate to post here, in part, because I was trying to open from JUMP lists (but also by navigating in windows 7 explorer).

Can we start all over again?

I would like to view two distinctly separate Excel windows of sheet 1 worksheet vs. sheet 2 worksheet.

Also I would like view two distinctly separate Excel windows of workbook title A vs. Excel workbook title B.

"Windows of active workbook" ticked?
where to find this?

Thanks for your help.

metman

OK -- in ms Office 2010 Operating System Win 7 you can open an additional copy of an Excel file or Workbook -- let us say file titled A -- so that you can view multiple worksheets, e.g., sheet 1 vs. sheet 2 or sheet 41 side by side within a Workbook but no more than two files at a time as follows:

With the Workbook open, click on File/Open/navigate in explorer to the same filename and right click for a drop down menu/New. Voila
You now have two full copies of the same Workbook and can open whichever sheet wanted in either or both copies.

Or …..navigate in explorer to a different filename – say title B -- and right click/New. Now you have a full Excel Workbook A and Workbook B to view simultaneously.

I will make a FAQ for this -- but:

If you minimize either one of these Excel files, you cannot re-open it from the jump list. However, you can joggle between Restore window and Maximize window in Win7 while keeping both files open.

metman

This works in Office 2007, maybe it'll work in 2010?

Open Excel, open another instance of Excel...load desired files in either Excel. You now have two separate Excel Windows to do with what you want.

if I click on a file from the jump list, it overwites any file of the same type that is on the screen
You're not actually over-writing anything. What you have is ONE instance of Excel or Word open for multiple files.
ONE instance can DISPLAY ONE file at a time.
The other open files are pushed to the back.

As freestone says, you need to open a SECOND instance of Excel or Word to display two files at the same time.
A third instance would allow a third file and so on.....

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back