Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two Operating Systems Installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mharcourt

Programmer
Apr 9, 2003
US
I have a PC upgraded from Win 2000 Pro to Win XP Professional. Win 2000 was installed in "C:\Winnt" and Win XP has been installed in "C:\Windows". Can I safely delete the "C:\Winnt" directory"? Should the registry be cleaned of Winnt references and if so how? Would it be easier to reformat the drive and reinstall to OS?
Thanks

Hi,

Unless you have a lot of other applications loaded that you cant put back, or you have no way of backing up you files it is always preferable to perform a clean install. By upgrading in the way you have you dont know if XP is using any of the system files in the 2k installation file....

Best bet is back up everything, delete the folder and see what happens, if all is ok you havent had to reinstall the system...if it screws up then youve lost nothing

Good luck

Thanks. I had a feeling reinstalling the OS would be the best, least time consuming, solution. No data needs to be saved, basically a clean machine.

You haven't upgraded - you've done a 'clean' install of XP in the same partition as 2k (which is a bad idea - operating systems should always be installed in their own partition) - which should have given you a dual boot.

So, agree with previous poster - clean install on wiped drive is best.

Sad part is....you'll be wanting 2K back within 2 weeks. IMHO.

...Mac

Humpty Dumpty was pushed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back