Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two NICs in one Linux box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rparfitt

IS-IT--Management
Oct 10, 2001
GB
I seem to be having an inordinate amount of trouble getting Linux (Mandrake 8) to recognise two NE2000 cards.

I can configure both cards independently with no problem.:) Both set up OK and I can ping the network. But when I configure both cards together, the first one (eth0) uses both IO ports and both IRQs X-) and the other card (eth1) has had both of those entries removed (when viewed from linuxconf). Both cards use the ne kernel module. Why is it being so stupid????????? >:-<

Hi,

It might be easier to directly edit the /etc/modules.conf file which stores this info. For example :

alias eth0 ne
alias eth1 ne
options ne io=0x220,0x240

Presumably they are not dual-port cards ? You can also do some diagnostics :

cat /proc/pci

mii-tool -v

Hope this helps

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately even editing the modules.conf file as you suggest still results in eth0 stealing both ip addresses, both IO ports and both IRQs! Whenever I ping an IP address it will work for either if eth0 is connected and fail for both if it is not. s-)

Hi,

Those NE2000 cards do seem to be somewhat problematic. There is another driver (ne2k-pci) that you could try instead. Redhat provide both ne.o and ne2k-pci.o in their default installation - not sure about mandrake. See .

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back