Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two more minor but painful Accuess 2010 issues, is SP imienent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsteph

Technical User
Oct 24, 2002
US
Hi all,
I keep running into UI things in Access 2010 that seem like a giant leap backwards in UI design. I'm wondering if there's a hotfix or service pack out there for these:

1. When I do a "Save As", ie, for a query I have to go to "Home" tab, and this completely disappears my ability to see the query or any objects. "What was the query I was saving and what did I want to name it?" How would I know, I'm blind to everything in the database view. In old versions you got a little 'save as' box and you could still see the query and have an idea what to name it by looking at it. And as perfect as some may be--most of us aren't used to pondering a query and making that full naming decision prior to hitting save-as...plus it's just a bit jarring to have your entire view of your project wiped out just to do a save-as.

2. The whole "Design View Tab" that disappears at random. When I make a query (and not just in query-wizard--this happens at random with any query), I'll be working with it, and all of a sudden the "Design" tab is gone. In the UI, I'm used to clicking up there to go back to Design view from Datasheet view but now--completely gone. Gotta right-click on the query itself. Yes, this is a 'workaround', but why? Why not simply leave the design tab there?

Can anyone let me know if thy have upgraded to some new service pack that has fixed these?
Thanks,
--Jim

unfortunately if you have SP1 then its a wait and see. The main reason I continue to develop in 2003 for the most part. The best post I saw was someone complaining about the interface and the response by an mvp was give it 8 - 10 months you ll get use to it. crap. If I update my db's and it takes '8 - 10 months' for users to 'get use to it' then I'm unemployed

HTH << MaZeWorX >> "I have not failed I have only found ten thousand ways that don't work" <<Edison>>

1. Try pressing F12 -> Other Access shortcuts

2. Doesn't happen to me? There are hotfixes for SP1 , we had to install one as SP1 when first released just kept crashing constantly.

It might be worth checking with the MSDN bods / MS Answers and see if there is a hotfix for the specific issue you have with the design tab.

One of my bug bears with Access 2010 is not easily being able to close a form, but again , once you learn CRTL-F4 shortcut, its no longer an issue :)

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Free Electronic Dance Music Downloads

Stinkin' Microsoft. I swear they hire people to screw things up in the next version after they've already got something working well. Making changes for the sake of change is worthless. They have no concept of "value added.

Microsoft's vision for office is to have a common base interface so the apps are as similar as possible. Hence the integeration of the VBA IDE from 97 to 2000 and when they changed from menus to ribbons we got stuck with it.

The ribbon does seem to work well for tweaking existing objects without too much heartburn but everytime I have to make a new object or save as I feel the pain. Which tells me that Microsofts research as to what features belong together did not do a good job with Access. Although one could make the arguement that the default ribbons are designed for the end user experience and not the developer experience... That developers should be prepared to modify the ribbons for their own purpose.

As for the MVP 9-10 months... I guess you are supposed to be done developing your application and using it so you don't feel the pain.

I just submitted my 'suggestion' to make objects to remember the ribbon setting when switching among them to MS... They are not interested in who we are to submit feedback from what I can see... If 'enough' of 'us' complain about these issues overtime maybe they'll fix it. [noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back