Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two Linksy routers with one static ip

Status
Not open for further replies.

prson

Technical User
Mar 24, 2002
US
I have a question about using two routers with one t-1 connection. I have two office lans that do not share with each other. But they do share internet.
I am not sure how to configure the routers, Should one be configured as a gateway?
Please help.

prson,

How are they currently connected and how are they sharing the internet? Could you provide some further information?

[yinyang] What goes around - comes around. [wink]
The Old Man

If you feel that this post can help others, please indicate it with a star.

theoldman346,

Router 1 (Linksys Router with 4 port switch with VPN) is connected to the "t", router 2 (linksys Router with 4 port hub) is connected to port 3 of router 1. Both lans are connected to their respective routers with hubs, Router 1 is setup with a static WAN ip, Router 2 is using dhcp for the WAN side.
At present they are all connecting to the internet.

I have both routers configured as dhcp servers, both internal lans seem to be working fine.

This was my first time configuring a network with two routers.

prson,

If it is working, apparently you did it the "right" way. The broadband connected router should be in "gateway" mode and the other should be in "router" mode. Did you adjust the internal LAN address of the second router? Also the DHCP address range? Both can have their DHCP servers on since they should be on different subnets.

I take it you are just asking for confirmation on what you did.

Good job. [yinyang] What goes around - comes around. [wink]
The Old Man

If you feel that this post can help others, please indicate it with a star.

Is it possible to have two such routers connecting to the same T-1 connection through a hub without cascading? What would be the settings in each? Presumably, they could not be set to the same static WAN IP address. Is this idea correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back