Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TWO hard-drives… I think!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rasu

Technical User
Apr 5, 2003
US
TWO hard-drives… I think!!??

Can anyone please help me figure out how I can use both my harddrives?? I recently got a used computer from someone who left the country. The PC has 2 harddrives when I open it up, but when I log in, I can only see one drive (Drive C).

I ran an application that gives a screenshot information of installed components in our PC (called Belarc Advisor), and it gave me the following information about my processor and harddrive:

Processor:
450 megahertz Intel Pentium III (2 installed)
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Hard Drives:
27.31 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
21.38 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

FUJITSU MPE3273AH [Hard drive] (27.32 GB) -- drive 0
FUJITSU MPE3273AH [Hard drive] (27.32 GB) -- drive 1

So it looks like I actually have dual Pentium 3 processors, and two internal harddrives as well. Is that right? More importantly, how can I access the SECOND harddrive, so that I can perhaps format it and use it as extra storage space?? Could this be a RAID set up? Please please help.

Thank you.

The second hard drive may not be formatted as FAT32 or NTFS which is why it may not be showing. If it has been picked up by Belarc, it should be working okay. It has been detected as slave, so the jumper settings are okay.

What you have to do is format it. You can do it by using a program such as Partition Magic, or you can use a Windows installation CD and format the drive for install then exit the installation. When you start windows it should be detected.

Thank you for the reply. I was able to right click "my computer>manage>disk management", and from there, I saw the second harddrive, assigned it a letter (Drive_E), and was prompted to format it (it was empty). I formated it in NTFS, and I now have my 2 harddrives back!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back