Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two gateways - routing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egglar

Technical User
Apr 4, 2002
GB

Hey, hopefully a simple question:

At my office we have two gateways, a 4 line ADSL solution providing 4mbps down, and 1mbps up, this is our primary connection, but is prone to downtime, sometimes for a minute, sometimes for an hour. We then have a backup connection, which is slow, but is reliable.

What i want to do is switch internet traffic from one gateway to another if one of them goes down.

The network setup is:

Primary gateway 192.168.0.1
backup gateway 192.168.0.3
Windows Server 2k3 running DHCP and RRAS 192.168.0.2

I think the best way is to set all the workstations default gateway to 192.168.0.2, then have the windows server machine forward all internet bound traffic too either gateway depending if the primary is down or not.

Could any one point me in the right direction on how to do this, is it with RRAS? Any info much appreciated.

Elliot.

Hi, that sounds like just what im after, problem is i havent got a clue how to use it? Never had any experience with WMI before, i couldnt even tell you how to implement it.

Could you give any more info?

How would it work, would the internet traffic still be sent to the windows server, and then forwarded on to either of the routers, or would they go straight to the routers?

Thanks for the help so far.

Elliot.

The first thing you want to do is copy this into notepad and save it as a .vbs (ex. gateway.vbs):

Code:
On Error Resume Next
strComputer = "."
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
Set objNetworkSettings = objWMIService.Get("Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration")
objNetworkSettings.SetDeadGWDetect(True)

Then, if in a domain, I would push it to all the clients utilizing Group Policy. For more info, check this out:

For individual machines, I would just run it on the machine either at startup, or, at a user login. Since this is on a server, I would recommend that you do it at system startup. For more info, check this:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back